Wicker Picture House Cinema

Sheffield History

Hi.

I found these images on a website devoted to Sheffield cinemas.

I worked in Pitsmoor in the mid-70's and travelled back to 'the Lake District' on the 75/76 bus. The banners/posters for Studio 7 were very explicit, 'Virgins doing this that or the other!' or somebody 'Confessing to this that or the other!'.

Wazzie Worrall

image.png.ac4a96cfe977c1c0168331d50c73ce69.png 7

image.png.28384f795d5253f359bc87fc0586b4e7.png

It looks like the picture with 5,6,7 has it shut down. With some kind of sale notice on it.

There's now a road passing through the site. So they now only show "road movies".

Under a slightly new name Lysander is back after an absence of a year or more!

I visited the Wicker Cinema back in the late 1950s to see "Dunkirk" along with a French exchange student. A rather unfortunate choice of film for Pierre especially when the emphasis seemed to be how the French had let us down!

I never crossed the threshold but a classmate at High Storrs was the son of the then manager (mid to late Fifties) a Mrs Stokes. It was talked about by teenage lads with the same bike shed mentality as a certain rubber product. Up till that point in my life a dirty mac was a soiled raincoat. The Wicker cinema gave it a whole new meaning. 

Rarely went there as for most of its life it showed X films and other dubious products. Oddly enough ,the first visit I actually remember was in 1956 when a re-release of "The Wizard of Oz" played there in a double bill with "The Glass Slipper" (Leslie Caron as Cinderella). I was 8 years old and it scared the hell out of me.

I returned, periodically in later years when it started booking more salubrious fare. Primarily because "The Sound of Music" besieged the Odeon for nearly 18 months and later, when ABC fell out (briefly) with Paramount. The first I remember is Disney's "The Jungle Book" in a double bill with "The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin". A long running HIT !  Zeferelli's "Romeo & Juliet" and 'The Taming of the Shrew". Another high water mark was a very long run of "Paint Your Wagon" ( in 70MM), 

Sadly, my last visit was to see what all the fuss was about "Caligula". .....It was as bad as they said it was...... DIRE !

post-8511-088394600 1278030640.jpg