Mellwood Cottage (Kenwood Road)

tozzin

I`m trying to locate Mellwood Cottage on Kenwood Road, seems its lost its name or its been demolished through time, in 1879 Sheffield? Surgeon Mr William Henry Booth was living there, by 1893 he was living at 24 Wilkinson Street, it was at this address where he died on the 12th of March 1900. Prior to Wilkinson Street he had a couple of other addresses ; 

Booth William Henry, surgeon, 103 Westbar
Booth Wm. Henry, surgeon, 20 Paradise square
Booth Wm. Henry, surgeon, 20 Paradise square
Booth Wm. Henry, surgeon, 20 Paradise sq
Booth William Henry, M.R.C.S., L.S.A. surgeon, 18 St. James street; h MeIlwood cottage, Kenwood road

as usual any kind of information would assist me.

I can't find anything on Mellwood Cottage, but, on the 1881 census, William Henry and his wife Eliza are at 56 Gell Street, Sheffield and by 1891 at Wilkinson St.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 10 Sep 1872.

Notice of Removal.

William Booth, surgeon.   Removed from Paradise Square to Mellwood Cottage, Kenwoood Road, Sharrow.

Surgery, 141/2 St James Street.

12 minutes ago, skelton said:

12 minutes ago, skelton said:

I can't find anything on Mellwood Cottage, but, on the 1881 census, William Henry and his wife Eliza are at 56 Gell Street, Sheffield and by 1891 at Wilkinson St.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 10 Sep 1872.

Notice of Removal.

William Booth, surgeon.   Removed from Paradise Square to Mellwood Cottage, Kenwoood Road, Sharrow.

Surgery, 141/2 St James Street.

First piece of the jigsaw in place, thanks.

William Henry Booth, born 18 July 1818, baptised 9 August 1818, Sheffield Parish Church.  Parents, Henry and Sarah of Sheffield, Hatter.

Marriage 30 April 1846, Sheffield Parish Church.

William Henry Booth, 27, Bat, Surgeon, Workhouse Croft, father, Henry Booth, Hatter.

Eliza Spink, 23, Spin, of West Bar, father, Jno. Spink, Pawnbroker.

Winesses:  Wm. Spink, John Booth, Charlotte Spink and C? Booth.

William Henry Booth son of William Henry and Eliza of Paradise Square, Surgeon, baptised 26 April 1857, St Jude, Moorfields.

Death Registration, Q1 1900, Ecclesall Bierlow.  William Henry Booth aged 81 years.   (No burial found).

1901 census, 24 Wilkinson Street, Sheffield.

Eliza Booth, 79, Widow, Living on own means.    (Plus one sick nurse and two servants).

Its possible Eliza died in 1907 aged 86 years, but it is under 'Elizabeth'.

There are a few years missing for William Henry, on one of the census entries, at the side of surgeon is.....M.S.C.S. Edinburgh and L.A.C. London, presumably

where he studied.

William Booth died the 16th March 1900, He is buried along with his wife Elizer, son William and daughter Lucy Ann in the General Cemetery.

This article about the Booth Family is from The Times newspaper of 1880.

William Booth.jpg

William Booth 2.jpg

Not quite the full story.....

If you read ‘Post Mortem’, by Flett, Lees and Schmoller, a book about medical folk buried in the General Cemetery (Gen. Cemetery Trust, 2005) it provides more details, such as the role of syphilis in the deaths. From what I can see, the papers didn’t report on this, presumably because of the delicacy of the information.

I can say more if people are interested, unless anyone thinks it would be indelicate to do so...