“Robinson” Watch Maker High Street circa 1830

Kalfred

Hello, I was at an auction very recently looking at some spoons, but not Sheffield spoons.  I did however take some photos of the remains of an early pear cased silver pocket watch. There was no watch movement present but as is often happens the secondary case had several paper circles as evidence of past watch “repairs”. The two circles I managed to snap seemed to indicate the watch had spent a bit of time in the Sheffield area. 1040444922_RobinsonWatchsheet.jpg.e3c19accae95a1d35ee37dbf1f5b8977.jpg

309404507_watchcases003.thumb.jpg.8d7f19de069f369d08b691ed90998914.jpg

“Robinson of High Street Sheffield” can be seen, along with services that this “Watch and Clock Maker Jeweller” could do for customers. Unfortunately there was no number for “Robinson’s” shop or any helpful indication of Christian names.

I found on line a possible candidate for this watch repairing “Robinson”. A Sheffield area guide with a date1828 listed a “Thomas Robinson” of “28 High Street” with the occupation as detailed inside the watchcase. 1828 was quite a while ago but if “Thomas Robinson” is not the man, there is every possibility he could be of the family that did the repairs. I am not a “watch” man so I am hoping there are forum members who have an interest in my snaps and can give a bit more context to “Robinson, Watch and Clock Maker Jeweller” of High Street Sheffield. I think it is not beyond a possibility that “Thomas” could be the man as my reading of the silver marks on the “London” made case date it to 1803 (upper case “H” and London “leopard face” mark “crowned”). 

Kalfred

Burgess Rolls.

Thomas Robinson, qualifying property House and Shop,

Address: High Street, Sheffield, 1843-44 and1855.

Richard Robinson, qualifying property, House and Shop.

Address: High Street, Sheffield, 1864-65.

1851 census, 3 High Street, Sheffield, Yks.

Thomas Robinson, head, mar, 60 (1791), Watch maker &C. born Bagby, Yks

Matilda Robinson, wife, 60, born Scafforth, Notts.

Sarah Robinson, dau, 23, born Sheffield.

Richard Robinson, son, 19, Watch maker &C. born Sheffield.

Ann Elliott, 17, House servant, born Stannington, Yks.

Back on the 1841 census, there are six more Robinson children.

By 1861, Richard Robinson and his family are a 3 High Street, Sheffield.  He is a watchmaker employing four men.

1 hour ago, Kalfred said:

Hello, I was at an auction very recently looking at some spoons, but not Sheffield spoons.  I did however take some photos of the remains of an early pear cased silver pocket watch. There was no watch movement present but as is often happens the secondary case had several paper circles as evidence of past watch “repairs”. The two circles I managed to snap seemed to indicate the watch had spent a bit of time in the Sheffield area. 1040444922_RobinsonWatchsheet.jpg.e3c19accae95a1d35ee37dbf1f5b8977.jpg

309404507_watchcases003.thumb.jpg.8d7f19de069f369d08b691ed90998914.jpg

“Robinson of High Street Sheffield” can be seen, along with services that this “Watch and Clock Maker Jeweller” could do for customers. Unfortunately there was no number for “Robinson’s” shop or any helpful indication of Christian names.

I found on line a possible candidate for this watch repairing “Robinson”. A Sheffield area guide with a date1828 listed a “Thomas Robinson” of “28 High Street” with the occupation as detailed inside the watchcase. 1828 was quite a while ago but if “Thomas Robinson” is not the man, there is every possibility he could be of the family that did the repairs. I am not a “watch” man so I am hoping there are forum members who have an interest in my snaps and can give a bit more context to “Robinson, Watch and Clock Maker Jeweller” of High Street Sheffield. I think it is not beyond a possibility that “Thomas” could be the man as my reading of the silver marks on the “London” made case date it to 1803 (upper case “H” and London “leopard face” mark “crowned”). 

Kalfred

1825 Directory

Robinson Thomas, watch and clock maker, jeweller, &c.28 High st.

1833 Directory

Robinson Thos. watchmaker and jeweller, 28, High street

1849 Directory

Robinson Thomas, watchmaker and jeweller, 3 High street

1852 Directory

Robinson Thomas, jeweller and watchmaker, 3 High street / FATHER
Robinson Thomas, jun. jeweller and watchmaker, 22 Angel street  /EITHER RICHARDS UNCLE OR BROTHER

1862 Directory

High Street.
1 Pawson and Brailsford,booksellers
5 Robinson Richard., jeweller
7 Sanderson Samuel, hatter
9 Tinker John, bootmaker
11 Waller William, butcher
13 Horn by Edwin. P.,chemist
15 Woolley Jas. ,tobacconist
HAWKSWORTH'S COURT.

1879 Directory

1 Pawson & Brailsford, printers, &c
3 Bagshawe Benjamin, jun. solicitor
3 Robinson Richard, watchmaker and jeweller
5 Stacey William Turton, pianoforte
and harmonium dealer
York street
9 Tomlinson John, furnishing ironmonger
11 Nicholson Thomas, linen draper
13 Gilbey W. & A. wine importers;
H. Brown & Co. agents
13 Brown H. & Co. ale & porter merchants
13A Dransfield & Sons, solicitors,
Castle chambers
Wilby & Dransfield, auctioneers,
&c. do
13,A. Staniforth&Ball, sharebrokers, do
13B Stacey William R. solicitor, do
Loxtan Thomas Gatley, architect,
&c. do
15 Johns Stephen, hosier, glover, &c

1901 Directory

Robinson Moss, jeweller;· h. 12 Onslow road COULDN'T SAY FOR SURE IF THIS CHAP IS RELATED.

DEATH OF THOMAS ROBINSON

ROBINSON Thomas of High Street 17 Jun 1860

Thank you "Skelton" and Tozzin" for your replies. A couple of "snaps" and history appears almost immediately for everybody to see. Fantastic!

Kalfred

When the Wicker Congregational Church opened in July 1855, Thomas Robinson of High Street, presented the church with a "handsome clock".

Thomas and Matilda's son Thomas junior was born on 9th October 1823, and ran his own Watchmakers shop from 22 Angel Street from at least 1849. Their son Richard was born on 23rd February 1832 and took over the 3 High Street shop in 1857 and was the executor of his father's will following his death in June 1860. The shop was liquidated in 1875 following Richard's bankruptcy, caused by him speculating in shares.

1415025752_RichardRobinson1875.png.d0ecef6741c6e6d46986334d1ff485d6.png