60’s Shops.

Tarts49

Remember these?

”Lift up your skirts and fly” Now buried under the town hall?

”Bunnies” at the bottom end of The Moor, where i

I got my first Beatles jacket and a black polo neck jumper which shrank to half it’s size on first wash.

“Harry Fentons” on Chapel Walk where my trendy suede coat for my Mojo visits was bought.

5 hours ago, Tarts49 said:

Remember these?

”Lift up your skirts and fly” Now buried under the town hall?

”Bunnies” at the bottom end of The Moor, where i

I got my first Beatles jacket and a black polo neck jumper which shrank to half it’s size on first wash.

“Harry Fentons” on Chapel Walk where my trendy suede coat for my Mojo visits was bought.

The present day Town Hall was constructed 1890-97, any idea what street ”Lift up your skirts and fly” was situated on please?

I think, as per the earlier the shop was on Norfolk St near Howard St. The Town Hall 1970’s extension buried it. Thx for the replies.

Prior to becoming ‘Lift Up Your Skirt and Fly’ 157 Norfolk St was the offices of USDAW - The Union of Shop Distributors & Allied Workers. USDAW moved to new offices on High Court off High Street in the mid 60’s which allowed for the boutique to move in. As already mentioned, the whole building disappeared when the Town Hall extension was built.

Wazzie Worrall

9 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Prior to becoming ‘Lift Up Your Skirt and Fly’ 157 Norfolk St was the offices of USDAW - The Union of Shop Distributors & Allied Workers. USDAW moved to new offices on High Court off High Street in the mid 60’s which allowed for the boutique to move in. As already mentioned, the whole building disappeared when the Town Hall extension was built.

Wazzie Worrall

Kelly's directory, published 1957.

Norf_st_1957.jpg

Hi Steve,

That's the one - USDAW 157 Norfolk Street! As I remember it the USDAW shop frontage was maroon, unfortunately I don't have a photo. Howard Street in the mid 60's was also interesting, there was the Tartan Shop, Mary Gentles Fish & Chip Shop and Milners Music Shop to name just three.

Cheers, Wazzie

8 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Steve,

That's the one - USDAW 157 Norfolk Street! As I remember it the USDAW shop frontage was maroon, unfortunately I don't have a photo. Howard Street in the mid 60's was also interesting, there was the Tartan Shop, Mary Gentles Fish & Chip Shop and Milners Music Shop to name just three.

Cheers, Wazzie

Hello, I also remember "Mary Gentles Fish & Chip Shop and Milners Music Shop", I was born on St. Mary's Road in 1954 and lived there until 1970.