Then and Now Attercliffe High Street

boginspro

High Street now Attercliffe Road, Baker Street left, Shirland Lane right. The bank building is still there, as is the Queens Head building and a few more further down but what a shame we have lost the buildings just past Baker Street, which were still there when I was in Sheffield, though not in that condition.

I often look at then and now type images and wonder why our street scenes are so bland and boring now, but I think the answer to that would be very long and complicated. 

high_street_attercliffe_hallamshire_bank_baker_street_left_queens_head_licensee_william_ellis_right _pc_eb.jpg

attercliffe_road_baker_street.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, boginspro said:

High Street now Attercliffe Road, Baker Street left, Shirland Lane right. The bank building is still there, as is the Queens Head building and a few more further down but what a shame we have lost the buildings just past Baker Street, which were still there when I was in Sheffield, though not in that condition.

I often look at then and now type images and wonder why our street scenes are so bland and boring now, but I think the answer to that would be very long and complicated. 

high_street_attercliffe_hallamshire_bank_baker_street_left_queens_head_licensee_william_ellis_right _pc_eb.jpg

attercliffe_road_baker_street.png

I also often look at then and now pictures and videos, but after looking I get a sence of sadness and anger because of what's been lost.

Attercliffe Road is a fine example of great and grand buildings demolished for what?! To be replaced by shrubs, weeds and carparks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gamal said:

I also often look at then and now pictures and videos, but after looking I get a sence of sadness and anger because of what's been lost.

Attercliffe Road is a fine example of great and grand buildings demolished for what?! To be replaced by shrubs, weeds and carparks.

Well put, that's just how I feel, Attercliffe, Darnall, Tinsley etc.  were lovely friendly places with some fine buildings, but in my lifetime those in charge of such things always seemed to prefer something like "Blitzkrieg" tactics rather than saving anything.

On 30/12/2019 at 21:35, boginspro said:

Well put, that's just how I feel, Attercliffe, Darnall, Tinsley etc.  were lovely friendly places with some fine buildings, but in my lifetime those in charge of such things always seemed to prefer something like "Blitzkrieg" tactics rather than saving anything.

The Luftwaffe did have some involvement also though  !!!

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

The Luftwaffe did have some involvement also though  !!!

Quite so, but when I said "lovely friendly places with some fine buildings" I did say  " in my lifetime"  and was referring to what was left after the war. I think most people on here would agree with the very often used comment that  " the council have done more damage than Hitler".   For instance the Luftwaffe didn't destroy those buildings just past Baker Street in the photograph.

This video might gives some indication of what buildings survived on Attercliffe Road 15 years or so after the war. 

My conclusion is that the council did a better job of destroying buildings than the Luftwaffe.