Sheffield Steel Products (SSP)

sixspeed

Back in the early postwar years my father worked for a company by the name of Sheffield Steel Products (SSP) Can anyone tell me if this company is still in existence today, or what became of it?

• Like 1

Have a look at Graces Guide here:  https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Sheffield_Steel_Products

They went into Administration in May 1998 and limped along until a liquidator was appointed in January 2005. The final meeting of the liquidation process was held in April 2007:

Final Meetings

SHEFFIELD STEEL PRODUCTS LIMITED

(Company Number 03583879) Notice is hereby given, pursuant to section 106 of the Insolvency Act 1986, that the Final Meetings of Members and Creditors of the above-named Company will be held at The P&A Partnership, 93 Queen Street, Sheffield S1 1WF, on 17 April 2007, at 11.00 am and 11.15 am, to receive an account showing how the winding-up of the Company has been conducted and the property of the Company disposed of, and to hear any explanation that may be given by the Liquidator. A Member or Creditor entitled to vote at the above Meetings may appoint a proxy to attend in his place. It is not necessary for the proxy to be a Member or Creditor. Proxy forms must be returned to the offices of The P&A Partnership, 93 Queen Street, Sheffield S1 1WF, not later than 12.00 noon on the last working day before the Meeting. P A Revill, Joint Liquidator 6 March 2007.

I used to go there to repair machines. If I remember correctly originally it was at Templeborough just before the Rotherham boundary then they moved to factory on the industrial estate near the bottom of Wincobank hill. By that time the majority of their work was making wheelbraces for garages and single ones for Vauxhall / general motors and V.W. However  Vauxhall / general motors kept forcing down the price they paid. I was told that the contract originally was for 70 pence per spanner but the constant demand to reduce prices general motors forced the price down to 40 pence. In trying to reduce cost to stay in business they lost the V.W. contract by reducing the quality of the ones sent to VW. Then because the general motors ones did not pay at 40p they went bust. The induction heater and forging press was sold to India.

On 05/12/2019 at 16:50, sixspeed said:

Back in the early postwar years my father worked for a company by the name of Sheffield Steel Products (SSP) Can anyone tell me if this company is still in existence today, or what became of it?

Hi, I can’t answer your question but I am looking for people who worked or know if people that worked there between 1971 and 1973

On 05/12/2019 at 17:52, Edmund said:

Have a look at Graces Guide here:  https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Sheffield_Steel_Products

They went into Administration in May 1998 and limped along until a liquidator was appointed in January 2005. The final meeting of the liquidation process was held in April 2007:

Final Meetings

SHEFFIELD STEEL PRODUCTS LIMITED

(Company Number 03583879) Notice is hereby given, pursuant to section 106 of the Insolvency Act 1986, that the Final Meetings of Members and Creditors of the above-named Company will be held at The P&A Partnership, 93 Queen Street, Sheffield S1 1WF, on 17 April 2007, at 11.00 am and 11.15 am, to receive an account showing how the winding-up of the Company has been conducted and the property of the Company disposed of, and to hear any explanation that may be given by the Liquidator. A Member or Creditor entitled to vote at the above Meetings may appoint a proxy to attend in his place. It is not necessary for the proxy to be a Member or Creditor. Proxy forms must be returned to the offices of The P&A Partnership, 93 Queen Street, Sheffield S1 1WF, not later than 12.00 noon on the last working day before the Meeting. P A Revill, Joint Liquidator 6 March 2007.

Interesting read. Thank you. I’m actually looking for people who worked there between 1971 and 1973. Any information would be great 

On 06/12/2019 at 16:35, Old rider said:

I used to go there to repair machines. If I remember correctly originally it was at Templeborough just before the Rotherham boundary then they moved to factory on the industrial estate near the bottom of Wincobank hill. By that time the majority of their work was making wheelbraces for garages and single ones for Vauxhall / general motors and V.W. However  Vauxhall / general motors kept forcing down the price they paid. I was told that the contract originally was for 70 pence per spanner but the constant demand to reduce prices general motors forced the price down to 40 pence. In trying to reduce cost to stay in business they lost the V.W. contract by reducing the quality of the ones sent to VW. Then because the general motors ones did not pay at 40p they went bust. The induction heater and forging press was sold to India.

Wow full of interesting reading thank you. I’m looking for people who worked here between 1971 and 1973

On 06/12/2019 at 16:35, Old rider said:

When you went there did you know a Sandra Allott maybe Jackson and or a Carole Allott maybe Porritt?

Did anyone work or know of anyone who knew a Sandra Jackson. Worked here between 1971 and 1973 or thereabouts? 

On 05/12/2019 at 16:50, sixspeed said:

Hi, you say your father worked here? What year did he work here? I’m looking for people who knew or worked with Sandra Jackson. Any information would be great 

My father worked for SSP as near as I can guess in the early to mid 1950s 

Sadly he is no longer with us so I can't confirm this.

When I was young he used to talk of his time at SSP and what a good company they were to work for.

Awww I am sorry to hear this. I don’t know anything about the company to be honest. I know my mother Sandra Jackson and Aunty Carole Porritt both worked there between 1971 and 1973. My mother was ermmm friendly with a man who also worked there and then came me but unfortunately her friend apparently disappeared or didn’t even know I existed 

I know exactly what you mean. I left Sheffield in 1973 so it has been a monumental struggle to find any info about my past or my families past. I've lost touch with most of the people I knew when I was growing up and those that could most likely help me are no longer around.

Likewise. I moved to Bedfordshire so no where near the area. My family became distant after my grandparents died. I’m on AncestryDNA to try and build a family tree but difficult only having one half of your parents 

I've tried Ancestry to find various members of my family and to be honest I find it difficult and very time consuming and so far I've had absolutely no luck with it.

However don't give up on this site, I first posted this topic in 2019 and today you replied, so who knows, anyone reading this may just have the answers we're both looking for.

Please forgive me for being slow but I'm guessing your name is Claire and you were born in 1973.

If/when you have any success please let me know, once again good luck with your search.

You guessed spot on. I’m on AncestryDNA and doing my family tree. I’ve reconnected with cousins and an aunty/uncle. My tree is a bit bizarre and with each add of a relative the plot gets thicker and deeper. Let’s keep in touch. I’m intrigued how you get on. 

Hi Claire. Sorry for the slow response.

I started doing my family tree a couple of years ago with the help of Ancestry but for the most part I drew a blank, so I didn't renew it. Like you some of the info I have (through other sources) is a little baffling. My family members are few and far between now so finding info is proving to be a challenge, however as they say where there's a will. When did you move away from Sheffield and do you ever go back to visit? I'll be happy to stay in touch.

Chris

You guessed spot on. I’m on AncestryDNA and doing my family tree. I’ve reconnected with cousins and an aunty/uncle. My tree is a bit bizarre and with each add of a relative the plot gets thicker and deeper. Let’s keep in touch. I’m intrigued how you get on. 

I moved away 18 years ago. I rarely visit to be honest but as I’m discovering relatives I think I’ll be back more. Unfortunately when families break down it’s so difficult to reconnect especially when truths are not told 

Because of your interest in SSP, you have spiked my interest in trying to find something meaningful again. I did find out yesterday that the Hallam Tower Hotel had been demolished, completely unrelated I know, but I lived about a mile from there and as a youngster I was always in awe of it, having never been in a hotel before. If you've not been back to Sheffield for 18yrs I think you're going to be in for a bit of a shock. I used to be a truck driver  and any time I was working near to Sheffield I would make an excuse to visit. The last time I drove through would be about 2008, I came off the motorway at Tinsley and drove down through Attercliffe, when I started to approach the Wicker Arches I had no idea where I was.

My apologies for going on a bit. If you would like to exchange email addresses and stay in touch that way please let me know.

Chris

Hi Chris. No need to apologise, I’m glad I’ve sparked your interest to continue your journey. 

Sheffield Steel Products was established in a First World War emergency ammunition factory at Templeborough. In the 1960/70s my company supplied them with steel for the manufacture of golf club heads. That apart, I have no idea of what else they produced .

They produced tools and tool kits for cars, they exported the tool kits to America but the Americans didn't like them because they weren't chrome plated.

5 hours ago, lysandernovo said:

Sheffield Steel Products was established in a First World War emergency ammunition factory at Templeborough. In the 1960/70s my company supplied them with steel for the manufacture of golf club heads. That apart, I have no idea of what else they produced .

I am not sure what else they produced. I do believe they did spanner’s. It’s the people I’m more interested in to be honest especially anyone working between 1971 and 1973