Pavillion behind Mount Pleasant Inn, Derbyshire Lane

Baldy67

Does anyone know anything about what looks (on Google Earth) like a derelict Pavillion on playing fields behind the Mount Pleasant Inn between Derbyshire Lane, Warminster Road, Gordon Avenue and the new new houses where the Dairy used to be off Hemsworth Road?

The land now being built upon was a sports ground with the changing room at the bottom. It was part of the J.G.Graves legacy to Sheffield. I was told that the University had used the sports ground for many years until they got facilities closer to the university, after that it was derelict for many years. I was also told that many developers had tried to get permission to build on the land but had always been refused by the J.G.Graves Trust so I was surprised to see that the entry to the land had been opened and building work was taking place.  

The Board of Education contributed £396 towards the cost of the recently erected pavilion at the City Training College Playing Fields at Norton in August 1913. The provision of a pavilion had been discussed since February 1911 but the original plans by the City Architect were costed at £700 and had to be scaled back. 

Professor W.P.Wynne, Dean of the Faculty of Pure science, took a keen interest in student sports, and had been the driving force for the pavilion. - EDIT This was not the Training College Pavilion, but the Hobson Memorial Pavilion on the University Athletic Grounds. This pavilion was built in 1928.  Thanks for provoking further thought southside!

The City Training College Playing Fields are shown on this 1924 Map of the area! The University Athletic Grounds over to the right are still used by the University!  The footpath dividing the two fields became the continuation of Warminster Road. 

Pavilion.jpg