Differences/eras of SYPTE, SYT etc?

Robinson102

Hi all,

I've recently been looking at old-ish bus photo's from Sheffield, and I'm struggling to make sense of one particular element of past bus companies and liveries.

I'm finding images of buses of SYPTE livery, some with no wording on them; some with the wording 'South Yorkshire Transport'; and some with the wording 'SYT - South Yorkshire's Transport' - so far I haven't been able to find any useful information which explains the difference, or the different eras these existed in.

Hence I'm posting here, in the hope someone will be able to clarify the differences for me?

Thanks

On 10/11/2019 at 12:52, Robinson102 said:

Hi all,

I've recently been looking at old-ish bus photo's from Sheffield, and I'm struggling to make sense of one particular element of past bus companies and liveries.

I'm finding images of buses of SYPTE livery, some with no wording on them; some with the wording 'South Yorkshire Transport'; and some with the wording 'SYT - South Yorkshire's Transport' - so far I haven't been able to find any useful information which explains the difference, or the different eras these existed in.

Hence I'm posting here, in the hope someone will be able to clarify the differences for me?

Thanks

You should post the photos .

South Yorkshire Transport along with the the amazing logo and classic cream /toffee livery was what they used in the 70s and 80s..

Then bizarrely added 's to South Yorkshire but in a different colour to the rest of the font im sure it was a orangey red (mid80s?) ...

In late 80s they proceeded by 'gradually' changing the livery with a big red orange band on the lower deck panel and a new SYT logo. The cream was made more 'beige-like'  on new buses as well as a few buses with the old livery that got a full new livery  makeover as opposed to a partial one like most ... then within a short time sheffield mainline started to appear on certain routes ... and also rotherham and donny mainlines ..until they changed the livery  again and logo so all were just  Mainline and no more SYT and painted in more or less the sheff mainline livery ...then before long First bought them ..

Toffee and cream with that amazing SY graphic is the classic that i remember as a kid ..the rest  were fleeting and came about after Thatchers "deregulation" 

post-1162-1201347817.jpg

2 liverys on 1 bus ...new full livery on bus behind

3798223465_cbb3fbb94d_b.jpg

classic  livery and SY logo

01_SY683_29Jun83-L.jpg

Classic livery

JSAC39800.jpg

Old and new livery in 1 bus ..

0a4064cd63ae52cfc14aea6ed1ce4c06--south-yorkshire-sheffield.jpg

Old and new livery in 1 bus ..

One behind full beige brown orange syt livery 

9adac49618e095113e5e6ab49f06054d--bus-fare-trolley.jpg

full beige brown darkorange syt livery 

download.jpeg

Express ..fastline ...

Fastline was used by both main south yorks bus companys  south yorkshire transport and yorkshire traction on express routes ... tho fsr  the inside of that doesnt have the usual headrests

6852951525_cba42311d0_b.jpg

Syt livery with mainline logo plastered on

SYT 2445 Crystal Peaks 170291g-L.jpg

sheffield mainline livery used on certain routes 

36876811263_9108c95b02_b.jpg

Mainline with livery logo used in sheff roth donny

sdt272y.jpeg

then First buses messed it up