Sign in to follow this  
andy1702

What colour were Sheffield trams?

I'm currently in the process of repainting a box trailer that I tow behind my van and thought it would be a bit of fun to paint it in the old Sheffield tram colours. I know they were always blue and cream (we'll not talk about the green experiment) but what shades were they? I have a feeling the blue got lighter over the years, but can't be sure. Was the pre-war livery a darker blue than the postw ar style on the Roberts cars etc?

There are a couple of modern buses running around that look like they've got it pretty much spot on. At the very least they're a lot closer than the blue and cream Supertram, which I'm pretty sure is just about as wrong as it's possible to be. If only I could get the buses to keep still long enough to hold up a colour chart against them!

Not sure but Prussion Blue springs to mind. I will probably be at Crich on Tuesday so will check what paint is used on 74 (pre-war livery) and 510 (post war livery). The cream Supertram used is pretty close, but the blue is rubbish, it's probably Oxford Blue which is the darker blue the stops used to be painted in!

Nigel L

Now you've said Prussion Blue that rings a vague bell with me too.

While you're looking at 510 up close, can you have a look to see of the blue bits are lined out in black please? There's certainly no black border to the bands on 513 at the moment, but that isn't in it's commemorative livery any more. I have a feeling some of the earlier trams in post war livery (264 etc) had a black edge to the blue stripes, then a very thin red line about an inch away from the black, on the cream.

According to bus number 1 (which I finally got to sit still long enough for me to at least look at it) the pre-war lining is white on the blue and a dirty brown colour on the cream, together with some black pinstriping.

I now need to find a way to make the trailer's springs squeak, so it's a proper representation of 510! lol

Sorry it's been a bit delayed, but here are the colours as used on 74 and 510.

74.  Prussion blue and Light Cream for the main colours, Cobalt blue is used for the lining on some of the cream along with dark brown and red. On the blue it is gold leaf and white.

510. Azure blue, and South Yorkshire Cream. There's no other lining on the blue bits, there is a raised beaded band but this is the same colour, on some pictures it looks like it is a little darker but it is the same colour. 264 is in a similar livery with no black lining.There is also the red pinstripe, and as it is in a commerative livery there are the gold bands on the blue.

I have seen some pictures of buses with the black edges to the blue bands, but not on trams, I wonder if the trams carried a simplified livery as part of post war austerity?

The paints we use are from Williamsons of Ripon, so the colours are as described by them.

When your trailer gets to 70 years old it will probably have acquired 510's squeak naturally! Next year 510 will be 70, and it will be 60 years since thectramway closed.

Nigel L