The Athol

tozzin

1 hour ago, Lemmy117 said:

Looks more like controlled demolition for future re-building.

Looks to me more like someone is making a lot of money by destroying what is left of old Sheffield. I have seen, often through this site, a lot of the new constructions in Sheffield and dread to think what might appear on this site.

12 hours ago, Lemmy117 said:

Looks more like controlled demolition for future re-building.

https://www.heartofcity2.com/masterplan/

Nigel L

To be sure it's a controlled demolition but it has to be doesn't it, they can't just knock it down with people in close proximity, I've seen the plans and it's another bland horrible building, no foresight at all, despite the arguments put forward by the council, unsafe etc it the Athol could and should have been part of the new building, in fact why wasn't it reopened as a pub? there's no pubs on Pinstone Street or the Moor.

The Pepperpot that has been saved is only part of the original topping of the building, it was originally a turret type affair.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, tozzin said:

To be sure it's a controlled demolition but it has to be doesn't it, they can't just knock it down with people in close proximity, I've seen the plans and it's another bland horrible building, no foresight at all, despite the arguments put forward by the council, unsafe etc it the Athol could and should have been part of the new building, in fact why wasn't it reopened as a pub? there's no pubs on Pinstone Street or the Moor.

The Pepperpot that has been saved is only part of the original topping of the building, it was originally a turret type affair.

image.jpeg

Just been on Pinstone Street looks like to Pepperpot has gone.

I sometimes called in the Athol, the pub was interesting but the beer was awful so I drank Guinness. I also stood under the Pepper Pot a few times, I used Faie et Cie for my motor bike and car insurance, they were above the tailors shop and right under the Pepper Pot with their door being on Cambridge Street.

As for the new development, it is said that the frontages will mostly be kept but if this picture has anything to go by the street level will not be in keeping with the upper floors and there is going to be a very tall monstrosity over shadowing everything. Also the whole thing is going to be broken up by a boring building where the Athol was, surely the common sense thing would have been to take the fake Tudor cladding off the Athol and restore the Victorian frontage which must be almost intact underneath, therefore keeping some kind of symmetry . I often wonder about the sanity of architects and town planners.

pinstone_street.png.jpg

A couple of Picture Sheffield Photographs of what the area opposite the Pepper Pot building was like before and after development in the 1890s,

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=Pinstone+street&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%Pinstone%%3BAND%3Ball%3BCONTAINS%3B%street%%3B

And a map of the same area in 1890

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Mp/435500/387500/13/10045a3

Pinstone Street 4.jpg

Pinstone Street 3.jpg

Pinstone Street 5.jpg

Pinstone Street map 1890.jpg

There was a very good picture of the area on the excellent 2015 calendar by  SteveHB   which also shows the Roberts Brothers building, another one that was replaced by boring concrete. Note the plaque  "The Moor Head 1882" For me I would just prefer the whole lot back.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/15346-sheffield-history-calendar-2015/?tab=comments#comment-131179

2015_calendar_march.jpg