Do you remember Exact Pint Measures

peterinfrance

I have lived away from Sheffield for some years now but I recall on one occasion when I visited we went into a number of pubs which had oversized glasses

with the pint mark on the side of the glass. This was apparently to ensure that payment was for the beer and not the "head". The beer was delivered via  a half  pint 

pumped measure (twice for a pint).

Mind you it was not the real ale that was delivered.

Does anyone know if it is still in use? Sheffield was the only place I have seen this. 

Electric beer dispensing is discussed here

https://boakandbailey.com/2018/02/electric-beer-pumps/

Apparently the oversized glass/metered dispense combination was originally introduced to minimise waste/spilled beer from overspill at the 'pulling' stage.

Then later when the weights and measures laws were revised they became popular to ensure compliance with the law as you suggest.

Also see here

http://pubcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-brief-history-of-electricity.html

To me the over sized glasses were not necessary, it was always the quality that counted and anyway if you thought it was short ( I think we called it a duck-egg) you could always ask the landlord to top it up. One of the best pubs I ever knew was the Cross Daggers at Woodhouse where the landlord  came round with a jug of bitter straight from the barrel and kept you topped up through the session, adding it to the slate. When you left you paid him and wouldn't dream of questioning the slate. Apart from that the old hand pumps with the big pipes were the best as long as the landlord knew his job, the best pint out of these to me would have been in the Adelphi or the Lord Nelson at the corner of Arundel Street and Earl Street.