Bramall Lane Bridge

Calvin72

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

According to Leader's Reminiscences: "Porter street was a pleasant field road called Ladies' Walk.  There were trees on one side of it, and you crossed the Porter by a foot bridge.  That led into Bramall lane and forward across fields to Heeley" - unfortunately no precise date of this obseravtion is given.

In 1846 an Improvement Act was passed, which amongst other measures included: " Porter street, Porter Bridge, and Brammall lane.  This is a widening  of the Bridge and approach to it, both from Porter street and Bramall lane. The schedule includes very little property"  - so the bridge's name was also Porter Bridge.

The bridge was widened again in 1864, the work started in early Janauary and continued for several months.

Very interesting Edmund! Several bridges across the Porter appear to have simply been called 'Porter Bridge' during the 19th century, however this one is called 'Bramall Lane Bridge' on the 1855 Ordnance Survey map (so shortly after the improvement). Towards the Decathlon end of the bridge there is a join in the stone work which seems to show a different date of construction (although the style remains the same) so the 1864 work reference is interesting!

Great work  Calvin72, I like the information board. I know from my Grand-kids that young 'uns find it hard to understand how and why Sheffield has changed and it's great to stand on the spot, look at the board and then look around them. As I will probably never be able to see the board or even Sheffield again I wonder if there is any chance of a higher resolution picture of the board please?

On 12/12/2019 at 12:45, Edmund said:

According to Leader's Reminiscences: "Porter street was a pleasant field road called Ladies' Walk.  There were trees on one side of it, and you crossed the Porter by a foot bridge.  That led into Bramall lane and forward across fields to Heeley" - unfortunately no precise date of this observation is given.

In 1846 an Improvement Act was passed, which amongst other measures included: " Porter street, Porter Bridge, and Brammall lane.  This is a widening  of the Bridge and approach to it, both from Porter street and Bramall lane. The schedule includes very little property"  - so the bridge's name was also Porter Bridge.

The bridge was widened again in 1864, the work started in early January and continued for several months.

Hi Edmund,

I have read the part of Leader's work that you quote and also found the Improvement Act which passed permission for various work by the Corporation. It was passed on August 3rd 1846 but I can't find the text of it. Can you point me in the right direction at all? I am currently working with Decathlon for an information board in their car park which will be installed in a couple of weeks :)

My son is training as a barrister, and even using his access to Statute databases we can't get the text of the Act.  However below is a notice of the intention to obtain the Improvement Act, and a couple of screenshots from "Statutes of the United Kingdom etc" which only list the Acts but don't have the actual text. Finally is an explanation of the contents of the Act from November 1846.

2023894571_1845Notice.thumb.png.8b695468cfa0796c1cb0bb152a149bc9.png

1274896055_TitlesoftheStatutes1846.png.416c830eb2e7752fac071cce35dfc61f.png

706330300_Statutes1846.png.1fb4b0eb5a756c7a9d41c9e85eca11f1.png

665566006_ExplanationofAct1846.thumb.png.a373951805e3f8db6a9fb898e2819878.png

• Like 1

I have recently helped write and install a second information board on the opposite side of the bridge in conjunction with Decathlon, who have been very supportive and interested.

Decathlon BLB sign 1.jpg

Decathlon BLB sign 2.jpg

• Like 2

I should say the work was done just before lockdown in March as the Decathlon 'open as usual' sign can attest :)

I walk passed that board each day to and from work and wondered how it came to be.

Great stuff Calvin!!

37 minutes ago, Calvin72 said:

I have recently helped write and install a second information board on the opposite side of the bridge in conjunction with Decathlon, who have been very supportive and interested.

Decathlon BLB sign 1.jpg

Decathlon BLB sign 2.jpg

That's fantastic! 

Great work mate!

Brilliant Calvin72:   My maternal Great Grandparents lived on Ellin Street in 1891, from there they moved to Porter Street and opened up a shop selling meat pies.

You can see the location of Bramall Lane Bridge on these Britain from Above Photographs taken in 1951.

Bramall Lane Bridge.jpg

Bramall Lane Bridge III.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, southside said:

Brilliant Calvin72:   My maternal Great Grandparents lived on Ellin Street in 1891, from there they moved to Porter Street and opened up a shop selling meat pies.

You can see the location of Bramall Lane Bridge on these Britain from Above Photographs taken in 1951.

Bramall Lane Bridge.jpg

Nice view of the Bricklayers Arms on Hereford Street.

Bramall Lane Bridge has been placed on the latest Local Heritage List. I've had a bit of back and forth over the last few months as there were some doubts expressed that the remains are the original structure, and the listing hedges its bets over Bramall Lane Bridge/Culvert! I'm pleased to have got some recognition especially with planning applications going on next door to the site.

https://local-heritage-list.org.uk/south-yorkshire/asset/13007

• Like 4