Andrew's Education Supplies

Paul Worrall

During our conversation about the 11+ exam Jen13 reminded me of Andrew's Education Supplies at the back of the City Hall. Does anybody else remember this wonderful shop? The range of material on sale was mind blowing! It was a sort of 1950/60's version of the Works or Rymans - everything from stamp hinges to poster size maps. There was also a rather loppy pub next to it, was it called the Albert? The toilets were disgusting, open air with just a urinal and seatless pot, no where to wash your hands. I never ventured into the Ladies!

Wazzie Worrall

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Yes, I remember Andrews shop very well. As you say, you could get all things there, pens, bottles of Quink ink, any type of paper.The Albert was on the corner of Cambridge Street and Division Street, opposite the City Hall, always played a lot of rock music on the jukebox, very loudly, you could hear it from some way away!  

Bob

16 hours ago, BobN said:

Hi Paul,

Yes, I remember Andrews shop very well. As you say, you could get all things there, pens, bottles of Quink ink, any type of paper.The Albert was on the corner of Cambridge Street and Division Street, opposite the City Hall, always played a lot of rock music on the jukebox, very loudly, you could hear it from some way away!  

Bob

Hi Bob,

I once heard a ‘Sheffield folk tale’ about the famous Halle Orchestra conductor – Sir John Barbirolli going into the Albert for a drink when they were playing at the City Hall. On hearing the din from the Juke Box, he said to the landlord, ‘I’m Sir John Barbirolli, please turn that row off.’ To which the landlord replied, ‘I don’t care if you’re Screaming Lord Such, that Juke Box is staying on!’

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

Hi Oldbloke,

That actually rings a bell that it was the Red Lion, but where was it's actual location? My late brother maintained he saw Bob Dylan in there when he was playing at the City Hall.

Wazzie Worrall

On 12/09/2019 at 16:18, Paul Worrall said:

During our conversation about the 11+ exam Jen13 reminded me of Andrew's Education Supplies at the back of the City Hall. Does anybody else remember this wonderful shop? The range of material on sale was mind blowing! It was a sort of 1950/60's version of the Works or Rymans - everything from stamp hinges to poster size maps. There was also a rather loppy pub next to it, was it called the Albert? The toilets were disgusting, open air with just a urinal and seatless pot, no where to wash your hands. I never ventured into the Ladies!

Wazzie Worrall

Andrews Graphics was still there in 1999, albeit that was 20 years ago!

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=Andrews_graphics&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%Andrews_graphics%%3B

I remember buying some tech. drawing stuff from Andrews when I was at Granville College, but that was 1982-ish.