Steam Special. 09.09.19

Paul Worrall

Does anybody know what the steam special was that went along the Hope Valley line towards Manchester today (09.09.19) around 12:30? I saw the steam and heard the locomotive in the cutting just before Totley Tunnel, but couldn't see what it was. I've checked on UKsteam.inf and Realtime Trains and there's no mention of it.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for that. If it was an 8F I'm even more annoyed that I missed it. I would say that the whistle certainly sounded 'LMS', so I assumed it was either a Black Five of Jubilee. I'm afraid with the exception of A4's I can't determin a loco from it's whistle.

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

22 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Does anybody know what the steam special was that went along the Hope Valley line towards Manchester today (09.09.19) around 12:30? I saw the steam and heard the locomotive in the cutting just before Totley Tunnel, but couldn't see what it was. I've checked on UKsteam.inf and Realtime Trains and there's no mention of it.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

I saw the smoke as it came through Dronfield and wished I had known about it to take a picture.

"Galatea Storms Wigan - 09th September 2019" - YouTube

"LMS Jubilee Class 45699 "Galatea" storms Northward  through a very damp Alfreton station.Destination Carnforth Steamtown with empty coaching stock. 9th September 2019"

Thanks for that wonderful clip, I'm so sorry I missed Galatea on Monday.

For all the steam buffs out there, on Saturady morning the Yorkshire Man is running along the Hope Valley line. The actual times haven't been listed on UKsteam.info yet, however the train is due to leave Manchester Victoria at 09:55 so assuming everying goes according to plan it should be at Dore and Totley around 11:00. The actual times can be checked on Saturday morning on Realtime Trains - Grindleford, and Dore & Totley.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

Sat 14-Sep THE YORKSHIREMAN
Crewe-Carlisle(LSL) [lsl]
34046/46100/70000: Crewe-Manchester-Sheffield-York-Todmorden-Manchester-Crewe
alert.gif SPHS

1 hour ago, Paul Worrall said:

For all the steam buffs out there, on Saturday morning the Yorkshire Man is running along the Hope Valley line.

Can't call myself a steam buff but I would love to see a film, if anyone gets one, of it passing through the Sheffield area . I did travel all over Britain on the railways when we still had steam engines and it was the easiest and most relaxing form of transport for very short or very long journeys. I am not overly fond of the modern railways, the last time I was on a train I found the seat uncomfortable and could hardly get my legs under the table even though I had paid what I considered a very high price for the ticket.

Times for Saturday steam special,

Grindleford 11:36, Totley Tunnel East 11:43, Sheffield 11:53. Note it does not stop at Sheffield.

Nigel L

Hi.

Following on from the steam special on 9 September, Galetea is back on Monday 23 September. It's travelling from Burton to Carnforth via Chesterfield, Dronfield, Dore Tunnel, Totley Tunnel through the Hope Valley to Manchester and on to Carnforth.

It is advisable to re-check Realtime Trains on Monday morning.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/GRN?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt   

That's the link for Realtime Trains - Grindleford (GRN?). For other stations on route - open the Grindleford link: Change the location to e.g. Dronfield and submit. The most important information for Realtime Trains is to know the starting point/destination.

Video records are welcome....

Sorry about the spacing!

Cheers, Wazzie

LMS: 5699 Galetea.  5Z53 0910 Burton Ot Wetmore Sidings to Carnforth Steamtown. 

23 September 2019

Burton Ot Wetmore    

SDG

Alfreton [ALF]

pass

ML

Blackwell South Jn (Derbs)

pass

UDV

Morton

Clay Cross North Jn

pass