Trophy mystery - Workmen & Friends of STC to J Lyon April 10th 1883

johnod58

I am trying to solve/research the history of a trophy “Presented by the Workmen & Friends of STC to J Lyon April 10th 1883”.   J Lyon  would be Joseph Lyon(s) originally from  Waddington in Lincolnshire. Married to Emma (nee Staples) also from Lincolnshire.

The trophy has been passed down the family through generations however, the story behind what it was presented for has long been lost/forgotten. 

On the1881 census Joseph’s occupation is recorded as Stable Labourer. He and his family are living at 19 Mill Lane, Attercliffe Cum Darnell , Sheffield. Joseph died (unknown) just 3 years later in 1886. Working on the assumption that The STC were probably Joseph’s employer.  Can anyone please share any information in identifying who/what the STC were? If there are any surviving employee records?

Any information greatly appreciated

John O.

IMG_20171104_120943.jpg

• Like 1

Could it be Sheffield Tramways Company , Under the legislation at that time, local authorities were precluded from operating tramways but were empowered to construct them and lease the lines to an individual operating company. Tracks were constructed by contractors and leased to the Sheffield Tramways Company, which operated the services.

The first horse tram routes, to Attercliffe and Carbrook, Brightside, Heeley, Nether Edge and Owlerton opened between 1873 and 1877 and the Corporation (City Council) took over the tramway system in July 1896 and quickly went for electrification.

• Thanks 1

On 20/08/2019 at 15:30, johnod58 said:

I am trying to solve/research the history of a trophy “Presented by the Workmen & Friends of STC to J Lyon April 10th 1883”.   J Lyon  would be Joseph Lyon(s) originally from  Waddington in Lincolnshire. Married to Emma (nee Staples) also from Lincolnshire.

The trophy has been passed down the family through generations however, the story behind what it was presented for has long been lost/forgotten. 

On the1881 census Joseph’s occupation is recorded as Stable Labourer. He and his family are living at 19 Mill Lane, Attercliffe Cum Darnell , Sheffield. Joseph died (unknown) just 3 years later in 1886. Working on the assumption that The STC were probably Joseph’s employer.  Can anyone please share any information in identifying who/what the STC were? If there are any surviving employee records?

Any information greatly appreciated

John O.

IMG_20171104_120943.jpg

Hi John
I have found this article that may help your quest a little.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 12 April 1883

Sheffield 4.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Syrup

Thank you for the news article clipping. It's very tantalising close apart from one minor detail the name in the article states G Lyon not J Lyon. However, the date and stables are spot on which leads me to believe Joseph Lyon worked at Sheffield Tramway Company.  Joseph (27) married Emma(22) in 1869, the two witnesses are George (53) & Ann Lyon (55). His father is named Thomas so judging by the age gap George is probably Joseph's uncle. They come from a farming background in Lincolnshire so working together with horses makes sense.  In 1883 George would have been aged 67 hence the article (oldest servant) makes it more probable that it was presented to George rather than Joseph,  who was only 41 at that time. 

Joseph died (unknown) not long after aged just 44 and was buried at Heeley Christ Church on 2nd Jan 1887. So another connection to the article  (he is now going to Heeley).   I can only assume that the inscriber perhaps made an unlikely error with the initial on the trophy? I can't find a record of George & Ann having children hence the trophy must have been passed down to one of Joseph's two sons. 

I did find a very interesting post on this site on the STC and will make contact to see if any employee records still survive and hopefully will provide the proof that George & Joseph did work together. 

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/154-sheffield-trams/

Again thanks for the clipping.

John O.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1