Cathedral Gravestone help

andydb

Hi all,

I came across this photo on Findagrave.com, it was taken by Brian Irwin who kindly allowed me to be the 'keeper' of the grave on the site. It is for a Martha Pass nee Stead my GGGG Grandmother who came from Bradfield. The George Hunter on the stone is Martha's Grandchild

Despite Brian's best efforts to tell me where is was situated at the Cathedral and visits from me to look for it, I never found it.

Is there anyone out there with a working knowledge of the stones placed there as I would dearly love to see it for myself.

Andyb

Martha_Pass_Grave-02.jpeg

Was in Town today, so spent some time looking at the stones around the Cathedral, did not come across Martha Pass, but I did notice that a few of the stones were partialy grassed over.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Was in Town today, so spent some time looking at the stones around the Cathedral, did not come across Martha Pass, but I did notice that a few of the stones were partialy grassed over.

also, (though not much help)

looking at the lines particularly on the left, you can see that probably some original/old cement work, but perfect straight line which suggests in an area that is modern.

- I thought of something else,

this line here in the OP: '' Despite Brian's best efforts to tell me where is was situated at the Cathedral and visits from me to look for it, I never found it. ''

if you can share this part of his knowledge it might help.

@andydb

Family deaths:

PASS Martha  4 May 1845 50 Sheffield, Bailey Lane  widow   St Peter
PASS George 20 Feb 1849 infant Sheffield, Bailey Lane  son of Charles (grinder) St Peter
PASS Martha 22 Feb 1835 infant Sheffield, Bailey Lane daughter of Joseph (grinder) St Peter
PASS Sarah 21 Jan 1838 1 year old or one day old  Sheffield, Bailey Ln daughter of Joseph (grinder) St Peter
PASS Mary 14 Sep 1842 infant Sheffield, Bailey Lane daughter of John  St Peter
PASS Margaret 14 Jul 1844 29 Sheffield, Bailey Lane widow of Joseph (grinder) St Peter

I think George Hunter was The grandson of Martha Pass.

Relatives of Ernest and Ann Hunter

HUNTER Joseph 20 Sep 1835 infant Sheffield, Bailey Lane   so Ernest (cutler) St Peter
HUNTER George 14 Jul 1854 17 Sheffield, Bailey Lane   so Ernest (cutler) St Peter
HUNTER Samuel 10 Sep 1852 1 Sheffield, Bailey Lane   so Ernest (cutler) St Peter

In 1856 Ernest Hunter was now a  shopkeeper at 32 Bailey Lane he was still there in 1862 but by 1879 Frederick.Dixon  listed as shop & beer retailer had bought the shop.

Sorry for my lack of reply but I have moved house and all that entails!

Jdash, here is one of Brian's emails

Did you find any of the other ones I said I took nearby?

What this is suggesting to me is that I probably mixed up a few photos from another graveyard by accident. I remember taking some photos at Upper Chapel around the same time. I can try to check there but of course they are doing construction and have covered some of the gravestones temporarily!

I’m sure most of the photos are from Sheffield cathedral though as there was a photo of a ping pong table which was there only a handful of photos later and I found one with a skull and crossbones which is quite distinctive. For a short while they had ping pong tables in the cathedral area but I’m sure not elsewhere.

Ok I found the file and the set of photos says upper chapel and Sheffield cathedral so maybe it did get mixed up.  It was taken 17 June 2012

I’ll try to check upper chapel soon

I never heard back but I have been to Upper Chapel and not found anything!

Tozzin

Thanks for the list of names, I had them all and more, I have the family of Martha Pass (Stead) of Bradfield going way back.

I will keep looking

Andy