Sheffield Police Constable 403 Walter Lewis

Steve457

Hi everyone.  It is a while since I last posted anything on here - the last time was in relation to a photograph of Walkley Police Station that I had acquired and I received some very useful and helpful responses.  Thank you to you all. 

Well, I have just acquired my second Sheffield City Police photograph!  This latest one is a little gem - 6.5 x 4.25 inches, depicting a police constable of the Sheffield City Police (collar number 403).  The photograph was taken by W.R. Moore of 236 Langsett Road, Sheffield.  My research so far has revealed that Walter Rowland Moore operated from this address between 1911 and 1925, which in turn then presents a bit of a mystery.

The cap badge being worn by the officer, is a Sheffield City Police one, but it has a Victorian crown, which having been replaced circa 1902 with a King's crown, doesn't fit with the dates that W.R. Moore was operating from 236 Langsett Road! (Which strangely, looking on Google maps, does not apear to be that far from Walkley Police Station - was Pc 403 stationed at Walkley Police Station).

Sheffield being a fairly prosperous city at the turn of the 19th century, I would not have expected the police to still be wearing Victorian badges some 9 years or so after the death of Queen Victoria -  unless of course, it being Yorkshire, they were being careful with their brass! 

Is anyone able to help me solve this little puzzle please?

PC 403 Walter Lewis.jpg

Moore took over the photography business at 236 Langsett Road from William Shingler in 1893 - so the Victorian badge seems reasonable.

Here's the text of an advert in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph from 16th January 1894:

PHOTOGRAPHY: Children a Speciality; Football Groups liberally treated with; Train fares allowed. -- Moore (late Shingler) 236 Langsett road, Sheffield

Good afternoon Edmund,

Thank you for this information.  Yes, that makes more sense now if Moore was operating from that address in 1893.  

Kind regards,

Steve

On 03/08/2019 at 20:14, Steve457 said:

Hi everyone.  It is a while since I last posted anything on here - the last time was in relation to a photograph of Walkley Police Station that I had acquired and I received some very useful and helpful responses.  Thank you to you all. 

Well, I have just acquired my second Sheffield City Police photograph!  This latest one is a little gem - 6.5 x 4.25 inches, depicting a police constable of the Sheffield City Police (collar number 403).  The photograph was taken by W.R. Moore of 236 Langsett Road, Sheffield.  My research so far has revealed that Walter Rowland Moore operated from this address between 1911 and 1925, which in turn then presents a bit of a mystery.

The cap badge being worn by the officer, is a Sheffield City Police one, but it has a Victorian crown, which having been replaced circa 1902 with a King's crown, doesn't fit with the dates that W.R. Moore was operating from 236 Langsett Road! (Which strangely, looking on Google maps, does not apear to be that far from Walkley Police Station - was Pc 403 stationed at Walkley Police Station).

Sheffield being a fairly prosperous city at the turn of the 19th century, I would not have expected the police to still be wearing Victorian badges some 9 years or so after the death of Queen Victoria -  unless of course, it being Yorkshire, they were being careful with their brass! 

Is anyone able to help me solve this little puzzle please?

PC 403 Walter Lewis.jpg

Police Constable Lewis.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 23 September 1908

Sheffield 1A.JPG

Good evening Syrup,

Thank you so  much for posting the press cutting naming Pc Lewis - fantastic stuff!  This is the sort of stuff that helps to bring these old photographs to life and remind us that these were real people living their lives in an age when life was harder than many of us will ever experience.

Steve

• Thanks 1

1911 census, 31 Morley Street, Hillsbro, Sheffield.

Walter Lewis, 36yrs (1875), Police Constable, born Conisbro, Yks.

Nellie, Lewis, wife, 32yrs, children Harry 7, Edith Nellie 5, and mother Mary Jane Lewis, widow, 66yrs, born Conisbro, Yks.

In 1901 Walter is at home with his mother and brother at 23 Langsett Road, Flora Street, Sheffield.

In 1911 there is also another police constable called Rowland Louis at 149 Fox Street, Sheffield.  He is with his wife and child.

In 1901 he is at 15 Houghton Street, Sheffield.