Fairthorn Lodge (Redmires) built by Daniel Doncaster

Stu_1981

Hi All.

I'm researching the history of Fairthorn Lodge (Redmires) that was built by Daniel Doncaster as a hunting lodge in 1893. I was hoping that some local historians on here might have some info or even photographs of what the house and gardens used to look like in its heyday. 

Does anyone know of any books/resources concerning the Doncaster family that might have family portraits/photographs that could have been taken at the house? It is my understanding that Daniel Doncaster III lived at Faithorn Lodge until his death in 1912.

Any information gratefully received.  

Hi Stu, bit of info for you:-

Father Daniel Doncaster b 1908 Sheffield - Mother Maria (Mallinson) b 1812

Daniel Doncaster b 29-11-1834 Upperthorpe, Sheffield - 1868 Married Mary Jane Miller ( she died 6-11-1916 Edinburgh) CHILDREN - Edwin Daniel D b 1872 Sheffield  and Norman Miller D b 1874

Other address Green Bank, Victoria Road, Sheffield

He died at Fairthorn Lodge - 7-10-1912 - and is buried in Christ Church, Fulwood

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU

Extra Information!!!  Go to PICTURE SHEFFIELD - put in Fairthorn Lodge                                there are 2 PHOTOGRAPHS really good ones to.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Stu, bit of info for you:-

Father Daniel Doncaster b 1908 Sheffield - Mother Maria (Mallinson) b 1812

Daniel Doncaster b 29-11-1834 Upperthorpe, Sheffield - 1868 Married Mary Jane Miller ( she died 6-11-1916 Edinburgh) CHILDREN - Edwin Daniel D b 1872 Sheffield  and Norman Miller D b 1874

Other address Green Bank, Victoria Road, Sheffield

He died at Fairthorn Lodge - 7-10-1912 - and is buried in Christ Church, Fulwood

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU

Extra Information!!!  Go to PICTURE SHEFFIELD - put in Fairthorn Lodge                                there are 2 PHOTOGRAPHS really good ones to.

Hi Heartshome. That's very kind of you, thanks! I'm afraid the photos on picture Sheffield are incorrectly labelled. They actually show Fairthorn Green/Fairthorn Farm (which was used as a children's convalescent home before it moved to Dore - you may have seen other threads on here and on Sheffield Forum) . This building was a lot closer to the reservoir and on the corner between Long Causeway and the byway leading to Stanage Pole. It was demolished quite a few years ago. 

Best wishes,

Stu

4 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Picture sheffield image links - http://www.picturesheffield.com/search&keywords=Keywords Fairthorne_Lodge

Map showing both Fairthorn Lodge and  "Fairthorn Green/Fairthorn Farm".

Revised: 1914,
Published: 1924.

FT_ldg_gn.jpg

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101600175

Yes, they are the photos that show Fairthorn Green. You can see from the photographs that they are taken looking down/across the byway to Stanage Pole with the upper reservoir in the background. That view isn't possible from Fairthorn Lodge.

Hi Stu, that's a pity they not the right photo's. With the photo's taken with the bare ground around all those years ago, not easy to tell, as the Lodge can't be seen from among the trees now. I have informed Picture Sheffield that they are incorrect.

I will do some more research for you, and ask my friend, who knows nearly everyone from way back around the area, if one of the families may have a photo. I understand that a family member of the farm, was a Redmires Game Keeper for a while, maybe he did some work for the Lodge.

There are quite a few Old Maps showing the Lodge and the Green.

Extra Information !!! - NEWSPAPER ARCHIVE - London Standard                       JAN 25th 1913  -  Mr DANIEL DONCASTER age 77 of FAIRTHORN LODGE, REDMIRES, SHEFFIELD. Steel Manufacturer & Merchant. LATE of Messers; DANIEL DONCASTER and Sons (Limited ) -  left bequests to Charities; net personality, £34,441 - £37,868

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Stu, that's a pity they not the right photo's. With the photo's taken with the bare ground around all those years ago, not easy to tell, as the Lodge can't be seen from among the trees now. I have informed Picture Sheffield that they are incorrect.

I will do some more research for you, and ask my friend, who knows nearly everyone from way back around the area, if one of the families may have a photo. I understand that a family member of the farm, was a Redmires Game Keeper for a while, maybe he did some work for the Lodge.

There are quite a few Old Maps showing the Lodge and the Green.

Extra Information !!! - NEWSPAPER ARCHIVE - London Standard                       JAN 25th 1913  -  Mr DANIEL DONCASTER age 77 of FAIRTHORN LODGE, REDMIRES, SHEFFIELD. Steel Manufacturer & Merchant. LATE of Messers; DANIEL DONCASTER and Sons (Limited ) -  left bequests to Charities; net personality, £34,441 - £37,868

Thanks Heartshome. I've sent you a private message with some more background regarding my interest etc. It would be great to find out if any photographs exist in private collections. I've started to reach out to the families at local farms also....

On 30/07/2019 at 20:07, Stu_1981 said:

Hi All.

I'm researching the history of Fairthorn Lodge (Redmires) that was built by Daniel Doncaster as a hunting lodge in 1893. I was hoping that some local historians on here might have some info or even photographs of what the house and gardens used to look like in its heyday. 

Does anyone know of any books/resources concerning the Doncaster family that might have family portraits/photographs that could have been taken at the house? It is my understanding that Daniel Doncaster III lived at Faithorn Lodge until his death in 1912.

Any information gratefully received.  

I have found a few articles in the newspapers that might help in a small way.

Mr and Mrs D Doncaster, meeting two hundred Guests in a tent in the beautiful grounds of Fairthorne Lodge.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 17 August 1909

Sheffield 1.JPG

Sheffield 2.JPG

• Like 1

Mr Daniel Doncasters Will. ( The Scarborough item is not related )

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 25 January 1913

Sheffield 1A.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, syrup said:

I have found a few articles in the newspapers that might help in a small way.

Mr and Mrs D Doncaster, meeting two hundred Guests in a tent in the beautiful grounds of Fairthorne Lodge.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 17 August 1909

Sheffield 1.JPG

Sheffield 2.JPG

Thanks for these Syrup. It's a real shame that there weren't any photographs to accompany the articles. It would have been the jackpot!

• Thanks 1

Hi Stu

Whilst researching my 2 x Great Grandfather, Joseph Ogden, I came across this post of yours along with the replies from Syrup which have helped me get a better 'take' on my own family's connection to the Redmires area. Regrettably though I'm not going to able to provide you with any information to assist your own research. Sorry about that.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd cheekily take the opportunity to tap if I could, into your knowledge of the area to help me in my own family research. My ancestor, Joseph Ogden was born 29 April 1841 and his birth certificate gives his birthplace as Fairthorn Fullwood (sic) which I was able to locate on one of the maps in this thread. I have since found an earlier map (surveyed 1850/51) which shows the area before the third reservoir (Upper) was constructed, which I've attached here. This suggests that the Fairthorn mentioned on the birth cert is actually Fairthorn Green. However, on the 1841 census taken on 6th June (just 5 weeks after his birth) the address given (whilst I can't actually decipher it) certainly doesn't appear to be Fairthorn. There are two separate families living at whatever address it is and the occupation of the head of the other family (Thomas Peacock) is given as Gamekeeper. I've attached a screen shot of that 'address' on the census in the hope you may be able help decipher it.

The following census of 1851 doesn't really help either as the Peacocks have moved away and the Ogdens' address is given as Water Company House which isn't especially helpful as I feel there may be several similarly named abodes in that part of Redmires. Joseph's father's occupation is given as Labourer on both censuses. The neighbouring addresses on the census are Wyming Brook and The Grouse and Trout Inn although I know that on censuses at that time, especially in rural areas, it doesn't necessarily follow that the sequence of addresses mean they are physically close neighbours.

I hope you'll forgive me the liberty of tapping your knowledge when there's no quid pro quo for you!

Kind regards131167308_1841censusforJosephogden.png.18a03e4a3f654aa8bdba78c2fc63d3e0.png

185051 Redmires.png

Hope you don`t mind me contributing chapbrook!

I think given address is Redmires!  The enumerators fancy capital R incorporates the first few letters of the name.

The 1841 census page of your ancestor Joseph Ogden shows the next home visited on the enumerators route was Lumley Lodge, this property is along the lane leading off from Fairthorn Green where the Ogdens lived, just shown on the edge of your map.

You can see it better on this screenshot (old-maps.co.uk)

Fairthorn Green.jpg

Fairthorn Green 1.jpg

On 25/02/2020 at 20:48, chapbrook said:

Hi Stu

Whilst researching my 2 x Great Grandfather, Joseph Ogden, I came across this post of yours along with the replies from Syrup which have helped me get a better 'take' on my own family's connection to the Redmires area. Regrettably though I'm not going to able to provide you with any information to assist your own research. Sorry about that.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd cheekily take the opportunity to tap if I could, into your knowledge of the area to help me in my own family research. My ancestor, Joseph Ogden was born 29 April 1841 and his birth certificate gives his birthplace as Fairthorn Fullwood (sic) which I was able to locate on one of the maps in this thread. I have since found an earlier map (surveyed 1850/51) which shows the area before the third reservoir (Upper) was constructed, which I've attached here. This suggests that the Fairthorn mentioned on the birth cert is actually Fairthorn Green. However, on the 1841 census taken on 6th June (just 5 weeks after his birth) the address given (whilst I can't actually decipher it) certainly doesn't appear to be Fairthorn. There are two separate families living at whatever address it is and the occupation of the head of the other family (Thomas Peacock) is given as Gamekeeper. I've attached a screen shot of that 'address' on the census in the hope you may be able help decipher it.

The following census of 1851 doesn't really help either as the Peacocks have moved away and the Ogdens' address is given as Water Company House which isn't especially helpful as I feel there may be several similarly named abodes in that part of Redmires. Joseph's father's occupation is given as Labourer on both censuses. The neighbouring addresses on the census are Wyming Brook and The Grouse and Trout Inn although I know that on censuses at that time, especially in rural areas, it doesn't necessarily follow that the sequence of addresses mean they are physically close neighbours.

I hope you'll forgive me the liberty of tapping your knowledge when there's no quid pro quo for you!

Kind regards

Hi chapbrook,

Sorry for the very slow reply. For some reason I haven't been receiving email alerts for replies to this thread.

I agree with Southside, the location looks like 'Redmires' to me also. The period that you are interested in pre-dates my house (which was built in 1893). However, there has been a homestead/farm at the Fairthorn Green location for many decades prior to this (at least ~1800).

Lumley Lodge is now Stanedge (Stanage) Lodge. Prior to reaching Lumley Lodge, the person conducting the census would have passed Lord's Seat on the right hand side (shown on both maps), this was another farm/homestead.

There were a lot of people living in the Redmires area during construction of the damns. I'm told that there was a large shanty town where the workers lived.... 

Best wishes,

Stu

Chapbrook, a bit more info for you. Thomas Peacock was the landlord of the Grouse & Trout Inn (and Head Gamekeeper). As well as an inn, it was also a working farm! Could your relatives have lodged there? 

See image of newspaper article from 1842.

Thomas_Peacock_Grouse_and_Trout.jpg

Hi Stu, Just found this post so I joined the club to send you this photo.

It shows my Great Grandad George Lawson with his 2nd wife and family at Fairthorn Green about 1905

The foot print of the house corresponds to the early plans of the house at the corner of the dam but the two photos 

of the same plot show what must have been a later extension. Interested to see if there are more pics of this plot.

My Grandad and Uncle where both dam keepers at Redmires.

My Mum lived at the cottage next to the Grouse and Trout.

I was responsible for the design and erection of the new Stanage Pole.

Hope to be in touch. 

Pole man1190245852_GeorgeLawson.thumb.jpeg.4d29bdbec5bd66ac267166beea4ce0ea.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pole man said:

Hi Stu, Just found this post so I joined the club to send you this photo.

It shows my Great Grandad George Lawson with his 2nd wife and family at Fairthorn Green about 1905

The foot print of the house corresponds to the early plans of the house at the corner of the dam but the two photos 

of the same plot show what must have been a later extension. Interested to see if there are more pics of this plot.

My Grandad and Uncle where both dam keepers at Redmires.

My Mum lived at the cottage next to the Grouse and Trout.

I was responsible for the design and erection of the new Stanage Pole.

Hope to be in touch. 

Pole man1190245852_GeorgeLawson.thumb.jpeg.4d29bdbec5bd66ac267166beea4ce0ea.jpeg

Hi Pole man,

Great to hear from you and what a fantastic photograph! Your family have an amazing connection with the Redmires area. I have quite a bit of information about Fairthorn Green/Farm that I can share with you.... 

I have a photograph that shows Fairthorn Green from a different angle, but I can't post it on here as it's from someone else's private family collection that they kindly shared with me. I tried to send you a private message, but the function has been restricted based on post count.  

I think (based on the information you have provided above) that I have been talking to one of your relatives on Facebook about the history of Redmires! I will see if he can put us in touch....

Stu

• Like 1

Hi Folks, just read all the posts regarding Fairthorn Lodge.....My interest came because I was in a place called Fairthorn at Dore for a number of weeks as a young kid. I think Convalescing and it would be interesting to find out a little about the place. Although this is not the one you are researching is there any connection and can you point me in any direction to enquire. thanks, Chaz

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chaz said:

Hi Folks, just read all the posts regarding Fairthorn Lodge.....My interest came because I was in a place called Fairthorn at Dore for a number of weeks as a young kid. I think Convalescing and it would be interesting to find out a little about the place. Although this is not the one you are researching is there any connection and can you point me in any direction to enquire. thanks, Chaz

Here you go - keep an eye on this thread @chaz

18 minutes ago, chaz said:

Hi Chaz,

Fairthorn Convalescent Home was originally located at Redmires. It was in an old farm that was called Fairthorn Green (the one we were discussing above). The home was closed down because Sheffield Waterworks Company were worried about pollution of the reservoirs (from sewerage). Quite a few old buildings were demolished. The convalescent home relocated to Dore, but kept the Fairthorn name. I can find some info out for you about the original home, but I don't know much about the Dore home. There is a thread on the Sheffield Forum where quite a few people that stayed there have posted memories....

Best wishes,

Stu