Sheffield Berni inn

frechylass

20190727_182245.jpg

Hi Sheffield folks. IM needing help from those that are highly acquainted with sheffield city centre pubs/locals and pub restaurants over the past decades. Ive just bought a old solid wood bar table which has passed hands down the line and i was told it was from one of a berni inn in sheffield, but they didnt know which one. It has a old table number a metal disc with the number 30.

The only places i can find about sheffields berni inns was the old no 12 (market tavern) berni inn steak house on orchard st or the Norton at meadowhead. The table has been painted multiple times over the years, i have just renovated it to duck egg blue. But i found when sanding it down, the original dark oak. So i would really love to know which place it was originally from. Maybe im grasping at straws but its a unsual table not like any i have seen before so maybe someone can recognize it?  I do hope so.

Thanks for your time :)

10 hours ago, frechylass said:

old no 12 (market tavern) berni inn steak house on orchard st

Hello   frechylass , The Old No 12 (Market Tavern) Berni Inn was on Exchange Street. I may be wrong here but I think the Dore Grill on Church Lane,  Dore was a Berni Inn. There are a few posts on here mentioning Berni Inns, There might be the odd comment in one of those that helps, link below  . ---------- EDIT I think the one on Orchard Street was just called Berni Steak Bar or something like that.

https://cse.google.co.uk/cse?cx=partner-pub-3209186142524727%3A3018540469&ie=UTF-8&q=&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0

5 hours ago, boginspro said:

Hello   frechylass , The Old No 12 (Market Tavern) Berni Inn was on Exchange Street. I may be wrong here but I think the Dore Grill on Church Lane,  Dore was a Berni Inn. There are a few posts on here mentioning Berni Inns, There might be the odd comment in one of those that helps, link below  . ---------- EDIT I think the one on Orchard Street was just called Berni Steak Bar or something like that.

https://cse.google.co.uk/cse?cx=partner-pub-3209186142524727%3A3018540469&ie=UTF-8&q=&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0

5 hours ago, boginspro said:

Hi Frechylass, The Berni Inn we used to go to in the late 60's/early 70's was the one at Norton. What a treat, steak, frozen peas and chips followed by Black Forest Gateau and washed down with schooners of sherry! The Queens Head in the centre of Chesterfield (one of the timbered buildings) was also a Berni Inn. We used to call the manager Napleon Solo because he looked like 'the Man from Uncle'! On one particular lively Saturday night Rob Fiddler swung on the chandellier and brought it down. My brother in law was the contract electrician and he had to go on Sunday morning and put it back!

To my knowledge the Dore Grill was never a Berni Inn, in the 60's/70's I think it belonged to Marsdens, an old Sheffield catering family.

Unfortunately I can't remember what the tables were like in either establishment!

Wazzie Worrall

The Berni Inn at Norton was great for lunch. I used to go with my boss and he loved the place.

But no meetings afterwards because I was looped.

Good afternoon Frechylass, 

I don't know whether you are still interested in this table and stool.  I have just seen your posting today.  I used to work at the Old Number 12 Berni Inn in Sheffield when I was a student in 1973/4.  The building had two floors and a basement pub.  The first floor was a restaurant as well as a bar, and the upstairs was a restaurant only.  I worked behind the bar usually upstairs but have worked all three floors.  I remember the tables in the bars were round and had round stools to match.  They were very dark wood and the numbers on them for the waitresses to note when taking orders.

The establishment was supposed to be haunted by a ghost called Charlie.  He was not an evil ghost but used to do silly things like move all the optics around and take all the empty bottles out of the crates.   I arrived for my shift one day to find the bar upstairs covered in cream. You may remember the Berni coffees with the floating cream?  Well we kept jugs of cream in a fridge under the bar and it had been taken out and thrown around the bar along with the little Elizabeth Shaw chocolates that you got with your coffee.  I went straight to the manager to complain and he said everything had been left clean at the end of the lunchtime shift so it must be Charlie playing his games!!

The pub in the basement was mostly used by the market traders and used to be very busy on Friday and Saturday nights.  If you're still interested I may be able to come up with some more information but just thought you might like this