How do I look after this Joseph Rogers Hunting Knife?

Nigel Bundy

How do I look after this Joseph Rogers Hunting Knife. It is 5.75" (14.8 cm) long when closed, and 10.75" (27.4 cm) long when opened. I would like to know how to look after the wooden handle and blade?2077538470_Rogersknife(1).jpg.d6ecb8ee355887db2dfd40445a499f16.jpg525786246_Rogersknife(2).jpg.ea08987f64fdf718e17fc1709d804bc1.jpg

41 minutes ago, Nigel Bundy said:

I would like to know how to look after the wooden handle and blade?

This is my way and roughly what my uncles did, they were all in the cutlery trade.

You need to wash the knife as needed but dry it off quickly and thoroughly and don't soak the handle or leave the blade to start rusting.
Don't leave the knife in sunlight.
Keep the knife oiled, any good wood oil for the handle, though I use olive oil.
For the blade I use light machine oil but anything that stops rust is OK, you don;t want to ever need to scour the blade.
Nice knife I think you asked for information about this knife previously, where did you get the information that it is a hunting knife please?

It is the same size as other Joseph Rogers hunting knifes I have seen on the internet. The only difference is it has a wooden handle and they had horn handles. Also I took it to the Antiques Roadshow, the lady who looked at it was trying to find a colleague how was particularly interested in "penknives"but he was not available. We discussed the size of the knife, and she agreed that it was two big for a pen/pocket knife and that it could be a hunting knife. 

14 minutes ago, Nigel Bundy said:

It is the same size as other Joseph Rogers hunting knifes I have seen on the internet. The only difference is it has a wooden handle and they had horn handles. Also I took it to the Antiques Roadshow, the lady who looked at it was trying to find a colleague how was particularly interested in "penknives"but he was not available. We discussed the size of the knife, and she agreed that it was two big for a pen/pocket knife and that it could be a hunting knife. 

Thanks for that information , I will keep an eye out for one of them, it looks like a handy size for many things, I like a big knife in the garden. I should have added above that I have been told that the dryness of central heating is not good for the wooden handles but if well oiled it should be OK, I think it is more a problem of contraction and expansion due to moisture content changing.

I was advised to use either 3in1 oil or WD40 for oiling and lubricating all types of vintage pocket and pen knives. Help for me please? Is there anybody out there who has a comprehensive list of Sheffield manufacturers of P and P Knives from 1700's to 1950's and tang stamps of names and symbols from the same period? Thank you, Regards LD