The California Tap near Ladies Bridge

tozzin

I've just written an article on William & Lydia Vance, who lived on Clarkehouse Road in 1879, I was given great help from Edmund on this subject, anyway in the information he sent me, it mentions Andrew Ingelson who I quote"He was also the owner of the California Tap public House near Ladies Bridge, though probably not the licensee. Andrew died on 28th May 1854 at Nelson Place leaving quite a fortune - possibly £9,000. His daughter Mary (dob 25th Jan 1813) on 4th February 1836 married James Butler, a merchant". I cant find any mention of this pub anywhere, Andrew Ingelson was a tobacco manufacturer and sold cigars and tobacco from his shop at 21 Waingate.

And this topic.

"Tenancy agreement TT/128/13 31 Jan 1855

Contents:

The Trustees, as landlords, to William Whitmarsh, of Sheffield, common brewer, tenant. A beerhouse called 'The California Tap' near Lady's Bridge, late the property of Andrew Ingleson, decd. From year to year. Rent of £8 15s. per quarter. Memorandum that Mary Ann Whitaker, widow, took the tenancy on 12 July 1856."

3 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Memorandum that Mary Ann Whitaker, widow, took the tenancy on 12 July 1856."

In the directories below it is just listed as the Horse and Garter with different addresses in the same area. .   

1825 Gell's - Crownshaw Thomas, victualler, Horse and Garter, 34,
Water 1ane.

1833 White's - Lowe Isaac, Horse and Garter beer house, 54, Bridge street

1852 White's - "Whitaker Wm. vict. Horse and Garter, 32 Bridge street

1856 White's - "Whitaker Mary Ann, vict. Horse and Garter, 32 Bridge street"

No wonder I couldn't find it, I spelt Lady's bridge different I know but that's how it was spelt in a directory. I like using original spellings.

52 minutes ago, tozzin said:

No wonder I couldn't find it, I spelt Lady's bridge different I know but that's how it was spelt in a directory. I like using original spellings.

Try SH Google custom search, and put "California Tap" with the inverted commas in the search box.

https://cse.google.co.uk/cse?cx=partner-pub-3209186142524727%3A3018540469&ie

It has me baffled why a pub in Sheffield would be called the California Tap, was it a nickname like The Cuckoo and if so why? Or perhaps an owner moved to California in the fashion that I believe North America Farm got it's name. Ideas / guesses anyone please?

Even Horse and Garter seems a bit unusual to me, I can't think of another one.