Is this a photo of Sheffield?

jb3d

I recently bought this stereoview on eBay. From the style and negative number I believe it is by the Chesterfield based photographer Alfred Seaman who moved to live in Sheffield in his later years. He and his sons also had studios in Sheffield. He was active circa 1880 - 1908. The photo has no title and I wondered if it might be of Sheffield. There are some distinctive buildings in view. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

seaman stereo sheffield.jpg

Looks like you have everyone stumped.

It doesn't look like any street in Sheffield to me. The two church buildings seem wrong for Sheffield.

I agree with History dude  , if it was Sheffield I am sure someone on here would have recognised it by now. Below is a link to a site with some information about Alfred Seaman, his family and shops/studios. It won't be easy to track that photograph down though there may be clues in the places they worked.

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~brett/genealogy/photos/aseaman.html

On 13/07/2019 at 10:44, jb3d said:

I recently bought this stereoview on eBay. From the style and negative number I believe it is by the Chesterfield based photographer Alfred Seaman who moved to live in Sheffield in his later years. He and his sons also had studios in Sheffield. He was active circa 1880 - 1908. The photo has no title and I wondered if it might be of Sheffield. There are some distinctive buildings in view. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

seaman stereo sheffield.jpg

Hi jb, might be worth trying to look up some of the shop names. H.HARRIS one in the middle of the smaller shops. The tobacconist with Mitchells name on, and the hanging sign in the middle of the street is it FEVELLS Lounge Dining? Worth a go. The farthest bell tower, might not be a Church, several other buildings sometime had them on.

On 14/07/2019 at 21:31, boginspro said:

I agree with History dude  , if it was Sheffield I am sure someone on here would have recognised it by now. Below is a link to a site with some information about Alfred Seaman, his family and shops/studios. It won't be easy to track that photograph down though there may be clues in the places they worked.

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~brett/genealogy/photos/aseaman.html

Thanks boginspro. I know Brett Payne's website well and contributed a lot of the information on the Seaman studios. You can read my biography of the Seaman photographers here:

https://issuu.com/johnmartinbradley/docs/alfredseaman

I think you're right. If it was Sheffield it would be recognised by now. I'll start looking at the other towns where he did a lot of stereo photography. He went to the Photographic Convention every year from about 1888-1907 and took photographs in whichever town it was held. Thanks!

Its a view looking east along Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby, where the tram tracks crossed the railway tracks by the side of the Royal Hotel, near the Prince Albert Gardens (now just a road name next to the A180 fly-over). Revells Dining Rooms were on Cleethorpe Road and seem to have closed around 1903.

Another view here:

37677090_CleethorpeRoadGrimsby.jpg.53490b6bcc81a3cadc05f976c350fef6.jpg

and a map from 1933:

1596152826_CleethorpeRoadGrimsby1933.jpg.261cb1752617602ee820e4da1b27c12e.jpg

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

Its a view looking east along Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby, where the tram tracks crossed the railway tracks by the side of the Royal Hotel, near the Prince Albert Gardens (now just a road name next to the A180 fly-over). Revells Dining Rooms were on Cleethorpe Road and seem to have closed around 1903.

Another view here:

37677090_CleethorpeRoadGrimsby.jpg.53490b6bcc81a3cadc05f976c350fef6.jpg

and a map from 1933:

1596152826_CleethorpeRoadGrimsby1933.jpg.261cb1752617602ee820e4da1b27c12e.jpg

Good on you Edmund! Mystery solved.

@Edmund Thank you so much … sorry for the belated acknowledgement. That is really helpful. Alfred Seaman lived in Grimsby for a while and his second son Albert was born there in 1866. However this photo is much later than that...probably 1880s-90s. However Alfred did often visit places with which he had an earlier connection and we have several photographs he took on visits back to his family in Lincolnshire. So I will maintain my belief that it could possibly be a Seaman photograph. Thank you again.

Hi Edmund and jb3d, I am back tracking the information!! I happen to have just finished a research project on the RAILWAY HOTEL, 58/60 CLEETHORPE ROAD, on the corner of Railway Street, Grimsby.    It was most surprising when I 'realised' that these photographs are of  THAT HOTEL 

The 'Royal Hotel' I found was a huge place, it was further down on Cleethorpe Road, at the end of the docks, hence the railway crossing. The Railway Hotel was further up the road. There is quite a lot online about them.

So def, NOT SHEFFIELD

Ok Heartshome.