Mystery Train Shed Nunnery 1967

History dude

I purchased two photo's of some kind of derelict train shed that was located in the Nunnery area. However where it was is a bit of a mystery at least to me! There was a carriage shed located near Bernard Road, just in front of the Refuse Disposal works, but the embankment doesn't fit in with it. 

Another possible contender is the Nunnery Station Goods depot found on the other side of Bernard Road. Certainly a possibility, due to the goods wagons around it. 

The picture hear illustrated will give the most clues to it's location, the other one is just a close up of the front. It was scanned at low quality for copyright reasons (Industrial Railway Society). The date given is 1967.   I think it is highly unlikely to be anything to do with the Darnall Depot, as that was still in use in 1967. 

I have also uploaded two maps. One of the carriage shed location. And Nunnery Goods.

If anyone has any pictures of the carriage shed in the map please post them!

Shed Nunnery 1967.jpg

Bernard Road 2 SK3687NE.jpg

Lumley Street upper section 1 SK3687NE.jpg

A similar photograph of this building appears in the book "Rail Centres Sheffield" by Stephen R. Batty. The photo. is credited to P.C.H. Robinson and is captioned "The remains of the former LNWR engine shed at Nunnery, closed during 1928 and seen here in late 1966"

Here it is in 1954 - between the Refuse Destructor and the Abbatoir.  It has the chimney in the south east corner and the embankment behind as per the photo.

848641650_EngineShed_1954.jpg.5e74a28056cd3cc907286a99340e9f81.jpg

Great mystery solved. It's no wonder I couldn't find it on the Sheffield History Maps as they don't cover that section!

If anyone can locate any images of the buildings from Blast Lane to Lumley Street towards Woodbourn Road Bridge in the Lilac Area shown in this map it would be really helpful. The idea is to construct a 4mm Scale model of the section in Lilac. It might just stay a bit of idea as in that scale it would be about 70 foot long and 12 foot wide! Each track shown on the map would be 3cm wide.

The Map shown is a later map and lots of changes to it! 

Railway_area_plan.jpg

The series of aerial photos taken in 1937 of C. and J. Hampton's head office on Bernard Street show great detail and different angles of the area you're interested in. You may have to login to www.britainfromabove.org.uk to be allowed to zoom in, but it's free to register. A couple of examples below

1592967390_BernardStreet1937_2.jpg.9588b0d89e2c3930e767c2b9622c3832.jpg

38803752_BernardStreet1937.jpg.11fbba283274bcfa928ee8c00fa3ca29.jpg

I should have mentioned that the model will be based on the period 1966-1969 centred around 1967.

However these pictures do show a great deal of detail, when you can zoom in. And some things were still around in the 1960's building wise.

In the first picture is the triangle shaped roofs of the Nunnery Goods Station shown in the maps. The other long building survived to become a garage. The house round back with the fancy porch did not and there are some ground based views of it looking derelict. 

On the first picture too going towards the railway from the Goods Shed is the Nunnery Junction Signal Box, which survived to have it's photo taken in the 1970's in colour!

Between them two is the Palissy Works (electrical). I did a search on Picture Sheffield for that and found nothing. So that might be the only image of the works. Ahead of it is another Carriage Shed, which stands on the Nunnery Carriage Sidings ground. That shed doesn't seem to have survived after 1960. There's also a good picture of the Carriage Shed at the other side. Later aerial photo's on the same site, show holes in the side and roof. So it might have been a wooden structure.

In front of the white roof tool factory is the Number 5 signal box. The Victoria Station section had six in total, seven if you count that Number 3 was replaced and put nearer the station entrance.  

On the second picture you can just about see the Midland line emerging from under the Victoria line. The Council cleansing depot had a line running off the Midland to it, between the large shed of a building and the small two window building.

On the road are two horses and carts and a tiny Sheffield bus that looks like a kids toy!    

How's this for a piece of luck!

That carriage shed in model form! Bit shorter of course!! It even includes the platform staff walk on just like the real thing!!!

Carriage Shed 527.jpg

The Real Thing close up 1937!

What colour would it be? That is the question!!!

Carriage Shed Lumley Street End 1937.jpg

11 hours ago, History dude said:

The Real Thing close up 1937!

What colour would it be? That is the question!!!

Carriage Shed Lumley Street End 1937.jpg

Black like everything else in Sheffield!

I knew that the LNWR had a locomotive shed in Nunnery, but I must admit that I didn't know that it was this large. I had expected something like a one road, or a two road structure. Not the four road structure depicted in the above images.   

On 05/07/2019 at 20:27, Edmund said:

The series of aerial photos taken in 1937 of C. and J. Hampton's head office on Bernard Street show great detail and different angles of the area you're interested in. You may have to login to www.britainfromabove.org.uk to be allowed to zoom in, but it's free to register. A couple of examples below

1592967390_BernardStreet1937_2.jpg.9588b0d89e2c3930e767c2b9622c3832.jpg

This picture shows the original Midland Railway carriage shed (the long black structure that sticks out to the right) which was accessed only by the Nunnery curve (the two lines that go behind the white roofed building) out of Sheffield Midland. At that time there was no connection to the LNER lines out of Victoria. The junction wasn't made till 1965 that allowed access of the Midland Station to the lines towards Darnall station. 

As you can see from the 1955 maps the shed has gone, replaced by platforms (to clean carriages). I always suspected that the shed had been hit during the war and I think I can now confirm that belief.

I was looking at the Star bomb map and noticed the area had several black dots (bomb hits). I have marked and numbered the ones of most interest.  Number 1 is the hit on the Wicker Arches. Number 2 is a hit on what looks like the road up to Victoria Station, near the hotel. Number 3 shows the several bombs that hit the railway hard and the ones I think destroyed the Midland's Shed, possibly the last black dot on the other side of the road.  Number 4 shows several hits on the Nunnery Colliery site, which I didn't know was bombed at all.   

Bomb Map Nunnery.jpg