Gleadless County Primary School

Paul Worrall

My old pal Bob Nutton and I have decided to start this forum page because the school is mentioned several times on the Hollisend Recreation Ground forum page. Arif also has made contributions about the school. Bob and I left in 1963, Bob went onto High Storrs and I went onto Hurlfield - both schools have their own forum pages. Our teacher in J3/4 was Mr Dyson, the headteacher was Mr Spur and the other J3/4 was Miss Metcalf (there is a lovely photo of Miss Metcalf on the Hollinsend Rec forum page). Is there anybody out there who went to the school, especially in the late 50's, early 60's?

Paul 'Wazzie' Worrall

Hello there,

Yes, it would be great to hear any memories/ stories from anyone who was at the school at this time. As Paul says, we both left in 1963 and have great memories of our time there.

Bob Nutton

Hi Bob,

x2 more names from Mr Dyson's J3/4 class - Vicky Johnson and Lynn Buckley. If you're out there I'm sorry I left you off the original list! Was Julie Evans in Mr Dyson's class or was Julie in  Miss Metcalf's class?

Cheers, Wazzie

Hi Paul,

Not sure  about Julie Evans, your memory is better than mine. There was also a Craig ………, cant remember his surname?

Cheers,   Bob

Hi Bob,

I don't remember a Craig. There was a Paul Creaghan, who lived somewhere at Basegreen near Stephen Smith, but I'm not sure if he was in Mr Dyson's or Miss Metcalf's class. Christine Lindley has also just come to mind, she lived somewhere on Hollinsend Road. The thing that has also stuck in my mind about the York trip was the stained glass in the Minster windows, I'm sure the person who showed us round said that some of the coloured glass let white light through, a production skill which has been lost.

Cheers, Wazzie

Hi Bob,

I’ve been through the rusty shelves in my head and come up with this list of people who I think I can remember from the J4 classes of 1963. I’m not 100% sure if all these people were in the classes as shown and not sure if the family names are spelt correctly. I also have a memory of a Jonathan Needham and a Jane Needham but I can’t remember whose class they were in. Craig still doesn’t come to mind. There also may have been another Christine but I can't remember her family name.  

Mr Dyson’s Class

Barbara Bradshaw, Lynn Buckley, Christine Burrows, Sandra Callaby, Jane Goodson, Wendy Handley, Vicky Johnson, Christine Lindley, Linda Neville, Susan Parsons, Barbara Wright,

Neil Bissatt, John Burton, Paul Creaghan, Philip Downing, Mick Hartley, Alan Munro,

Richard Nickleson, Robert Nutton, Robert Pratt, John Pursehouse, John Siddall, Stephen Smith, Robert Thorpe, Paul Worrall,

Miss Metcalf’s Class

Ian Bickerton, Steven Clark, Julie Evans, Robert Lancaster.

I wonder if there is anybody out there who can either add to or correct this list?

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

Hi Paul,

You have a better memory for names than me , well done for coming up with all those. Wasn't David Frost in our class? He was a great friend of mine, who lived just up the road from me on Seagrave Crescent and went to High Storrs with me.He had a younger brother , Stephen.

Cheers,

Bob

12 hours ago, BobN said:

Hi Paul,

You have a better memory for names than me , well done for coming up with all those. Wasn't David Frost in our class? He was a great friend of mine, who lived just up the road from me on Seagrave Crescent and went to High Storrs with me.He had a younger brother , Stephen.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for reminding me about David Frost. When I went into the 6th form at High Storrs (1968-70) David was still there as was Mick Hartley - I think you'd already left?

Cheers,

Wazzie.

Hi Paul,

Yes, having failed to get good enough O level results , I left in 1968 to go straight into employment.

Cheers, Bob

15 hours ago, BobN said:

Hi Paul,

Yes, having failed to get good enough O level results , I left in 1968 to go straight into employment.

Cheers, Bob

Hi Bob,

I don't blame you for that decision, I wasted my time in the 6th form at High Storrs and came out with very poor A-levels.

I missed Geoffrey Turner off the list, he went onto Hurlfield with us. I'm sure one or two other names may pop up!

Cheers,

Wazzie

Hi Paul,

I remember Geoffrey Turners name. Another friend of mine at Gleadless County was Peter Robinson, although a year older than me, he went on to Hurlfield although he would be a year ahead of you. A couple of other things have come to mind, on the way home from the school trip to York, I seem to think we stopped off somewhere, possibly Beverley Minster? can you confirm? Also, do you remember working on the school allotment? We had to cross the stream into Hollinsend Park with gardening tools, turn right, and it was a little way up, presumably the bottom of a garden on Ridgehill Ave .Also worked in the greenhouse next to the prefab classrooms.

Cheers, 

Bob

15 hours ago, BobN said:

Hi Paul,

I remember Geoffrey Turners name. Another friend of mine at Gleadless County was Peter Robinson, although a year older than me, he went on to Hurlfield although he would be a year ahead of you. A couple of other things have come to mind, on the way home from the school trip to York, I seem to think we stopped off somewhere, possibly Beverley Minster? can you confirm? Also, do you remember working on the school allotment? We had to cross the stream into Hollinsend Park with gardening tools, turn right, and it was a little way up, presumably the bottom of a garden on Ridgehill Ave .Also worked in the greenhouse next to the prefab classrooms.

Cheers, 

Bob

Hi Bob,

I don't remember Peter Robinson. One ex Gleadless student in the year above us at Hurlfield was Ken Wilson, two years above us was Dave Crapper (I think he became a bus driver with SYT) and somebody Webster - 'Webby' (he left school at 15 and went to work for WM Monks as a tiler). In our year at Gleadless was Steven Hardwick, I think he was in Miss Metcalf's class, he also went onto Hurlfield.

I don't remember where we went on the way back from York. I do however remember the allotment and the greenhouse, a group of us (can't remember who) painted the inside with red lead, who we be allowed to do that these days?

Cheers, Wazzie.

Hi Bob,

I've ammended the 1963 J4 class after our various communications.

Gleadless County Primary School – J4 Classes 1963

Mr Dyson’s Class

Barbara Bradshaw, Lynn Buckley, Christine Burrows, Sandra Callaby, Jane Goodson, Wendy Handley, Vicky Johnson, Christine Lindley, Linda Neville, Susan Parsons, Barbara Wright,

Neil Bissatt, John Burton, Paul Creaghan, Philip Downing, David Frost, Mick Hartley, Alan Munro, Richard Nickleson, Robert Nutton, Robert Pratt, John Pursehouse, John Siddall, Stephen Smith, Robert Thorpe, Geoffrey Turner, Paul Worrall,

Miss Metcalf’s Class

Ian Bickerton, Steven Clarke, Julie Evans, Steven Hardwick, Robert Lancaster.

Some of the people who I've included in Mr Dyson's class may actually have been in Miss Metcalf's class, it's all such a long time ago!

Judging by the lack of response to our posting I'm wondering where everybody else is? I'm just sorry we don't have a class photo to put names to faces.

Cheers, Wazzie

Hi Paul,

Indeed, your memory for names is better than mine, and my memory for faces is even worse! I'm sure someone will be in touch at some stage. I have been searching for one of my school photos from Gleadless - I know I have at least one - but up to now, no trace.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Bob,

I think it's one of those things about getting older, things from the past keep coming back. It was when I started reading the stuff about Hollisend Rec that Gleadless Primary School memories came flooding back. The other thing which I can remember about Gleadless PS was the free milk is those 1/3 pint bottles, were you a milk monitor? The milk used to come from the B&C Coop in those mini sized crates and the monitors job was distribute them to the various classes, I remember streching  the job out so that we would miss the BBC radio schools programme 'Singing Together' with William Appleby, it was awful, twenty minutes of sea shanties and other nonsense. On the positive side though, which I didn't realise at the time was that William Appleby was one of the first BBC presenters to have a northern accent!

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall.

Hi Paul,

Yes indeed, I was a milk monitor at times. Also remember taking turns to ring the hand bell at break times, walking up and down the corridor on the first floor. I do remember the BBC schools radio programmes, and having to dance to the music in the hall, pretending to be trees and other exciting stuff. I think myself and Robert Pratt had bit parts in a school play - robbers 1 & 2 !I also remember the school meals vans arriving and unloading large vats of hot food which had strange smells - so glad I went home for lunch!

Cheers ,  Bob

Hi Bob,

I forgot about the bell ringing, thinking about it I remember the bell with its shiney wooden handle, they are often for sale in antique/junk shops. I also went home for lunch so I very rarely sampled the delights of the containerised food. However I do remember times when we were given left over custard. Going home for lunch is a piece of social history which has all but disappeared, at Gleadless PS we got in the region of one and half hours for lunch, ample time to get home and back again. The down side of the arrangement was that the juniors didn't finish until four o'clock in the afternoon, these days schools have a shorter lunch break and finish around 3-3:15. I've also a memory of a schools science radio programme when we were in Mr Dyson's class, the only topic I can remember was something about earth worms.

We've still not any interest for any other ex-students, where are they all? Where is Bob Pratt or Mick Hartley?

Cheers, Wazzie. 

I left in 58 and went on to Hurlfield,i lived on Seagrave crescent a few houses below Bob Nutton. 

Hi Jackanne,

You must have been about the same age as my late brother - John Worrall (1945-2004) and his best friend Pete Cousin. John went onto City Grammar School and Pete also went to Hurlfirld. Pete still lives in the Base Green area.

Cheers,

Paul 'Wazzie ' Worrall

On 08/07/2019 at 11:21, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Bob,

I've ammended the 1963 J4 class after our various communications.

Gleadless County Primary School – J4 Classes 1963

Mr Dyson’s Class

Neil Bissatt, John Burton, Paul Creaghan, Philip Downing, David Frost, Mick Hartley, Alan Munro, Richard Nickleson, Robert Nutton, Robert Pratt, John Pursehouse, John Siddall, Stephen Smith, Robert Thorpe, Geoffrey Turner, Paul Worrall,

Miss Metcalf’s Class

Ian Bickerton, Steven Clarke, Julie Evans, Steven Hardwick, Robert Lancaster.

Some of the people who I've included in Mr Dyson's class may actually have been in Miss Metcalf's class, it's all such a long time ago!

Judging by the lack of response to our posting I'm wondering where everybody else is? I'm just sorry we don't have a class photo to put names to faces.

Cheers, Wazzie

Hi Bob,

Another name that has come to mind is Catherine Cox, I can't remember which secondary school she went to. There was also a Brian Cox, but I think he left when we were in the lower juniors.

Cheers, Wazzie

Hi Paul,

Yes , I think Catherine Cox  may also have lived on Seagrave Crescent. I also remember David Jones, as he started school on the same day as I did. He lived on Ridgeway Road , corner of Chatsworth Park Road , and had an older brother.

Cheers, 

Bob

14 hours ago, BobN said:

Hi Paul,

Yes , I think Catherine Cox  may also have lived on Seagrave Crescent. I also remember David Jones, as he started school on the same day as I did. He lived on Ridgeway Road , corner of Chatsworth Park Road , and had an older brother.

Cheers, 

Bob

Hi Bob,

I think Catherine Cox did live on Seagreave Crescent. I've no memory of David Jones. Another girl who has come to mind is Linda Willis, she lived in a big house somewhere on Myrtle Springs. I once went to a birthday party at her house and cut my lip on a plastic trumpet, my Dad had to come and fetch me - blood everywhere!

Cheers, Wazzie

Hi Paul,

Yes, I remember Linda Willis. As I recall, because she lived so far away at Myrtle Springs, she was one of the very few pupils who got dropped off by car to school - how times have changed ! Most of us walked to school. In summer, Mr Ioson sometimes used to cycle to school on an old situp and beg bike with his briefcase tied on the back, when he came by car, it was in a Borgward Isabella, and Mr Spir had a black VW Beetle , at a time when there were far fewer foreign cars around.

Cheers

Bob

On 31/07/2019 at 18:41, BobN said:

Hi Paul,

Yes, I remember Linda Willis. As I recall, because she lived so far away at Myrtle Springs, she was one of the very few pupils who got dropped off by car to school - how times have changed ! Most of us walked to school. In summer, Mr Ioson sometimes used to cycle to school on an old situp and beg bike with his briefcase tied on the back, when he came by car, it was in a Borgward Isabella, and Mr Spir had a black VW Beetle , at a time when there were far fewer foreign cars around.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob, Yes I remember Mr Spur's Beetle, although I'm a little vague on actual detail. Did it have the 'split oval' rear window? Was it only three speed? I've no memory of  Mr Ioson' s Borgward Isabella, but I remember his bike. My brother always insisted that he llived on School Lane at Norton, but my brother was prone to get things mixed up! . However, I do remember that Mr Dyson had an 'inverted rear window' Ford Anglia - must have been quite a new model when we were in J3/4?

We'll keep on probing my old pal!

Best wishes, Wazzie

Hi.

I always thought that mr Ioson lived on Ridgehill avenue at side of school.

Borgward Isabella,that brings back some memories,my uncle had one.