Gleadless County Primary School

Paul Worrall

Hi, 

From memory, Mr Spur's Beetle was a split rear window, making it a very early model, don't know if it was three speed. I remember the Borgward Isabella because it was such a rare sight, even in those days.

Cheers

Bob

8 hours ago, jackanne said:

Hi.

I always thought that mr Ioson lived on Ridgehill avenue at side of school.

Borgward Isabella,that brings back some memories,my uncle had one.

Hi.

We lived on Ridgehill Avenue and I'm sure that Mr Ioson didn't. If he did why would he cycle to work or use the Borgward Isabella? This is another mystery, who was the real Mr Ioson?

Cheers, Wazzie

image.png.0a2fa5fbc0905223314f817ed05fb73b.png

Borgward Isabella. Did Mr Ioson really have a car which looked like this in the early 60's? I'm seeing him in an entirely different light!

Wazzie

50 minutes ago, BobN said:

Yep, that's the one, more stylish than his old bike!

Cheers, 

Bob

Wonderful! I'm now seeing this guy in an entire new light, I used to think he was just another boring old teacher - but now I wonder? I think more digging is necessary, is there anybody out there who can help us?

Cheers, Wazzie......

Hi everyone, I found this photo on the interweb and thought you might find it to be of some interest. The only details I have are Gleadless PS, 1930s. Thank you.

80813418_1220173454848909_5650687900669444096_o.jpg

Hi Paul & Bob,

After Paul's recommendation, I've just had a look through this thread and couldn't believe how many names of former pupils I recognised. 

Just a couple to start with - Catherine Cox (along with her big sister Linda) lived just across from me on Welwyn Road along with Susan Parsons. 

Paul - very sorry to hear your brother had passed - he was a good guy. I think he had a mate called Kecks?

I remember my first teacher at Gleadless County - Miss Varney. She was actually there when my sons were there! (She must have been 150 at least!!!)

Mick

On 08/02/2020 at 21:50, Arif said:

Hi everyone, I found this photo on the interweb and thought you might find it to be of some interest. The only details I have are Gleadless PS, 1930s. Thank you.

80813418_1220173454848909_5650687900669444096_o.jpg

Is that kid on the left gurning on purpose or is he two sandwiches short of a picnic? I also note that the plump boy at back right is still in short trousers but has an oddly middle-aged face!

I've mentioned Gleadless Country in other threads, but for new readers:I'm  Michael Atherton, attended the school from 1954 to 1960, lived at 13, Gleadless Avenue. Two doors up from us were the Webs, whose daughter Carol was about 2 years ahead of me. Across the road were the Ledgers: I think both their boys, Philip and David, had been at the school, but they were several years older than me.

• Like 1

Here's anotherr name (though not perfectly remembered) to throw in to the hat. In normal times, I take stalls at Norwich Record Fair to sell old records. I found that one chap who visited quite often had been at Gleadless, and I think he left one or two years before me. His name is certainly John: surname something like Wargrave, Warhouse, Woolhouse? I distinguishing feature is that he's only about 5'3" tall. Has luxuriant moustaches and walks with a stick. He's accompanied by his wife who is even smaller. Anyone know who I mean? I think they still live in Sheffield.

Hi Athy.

The only John (Jack) Warhirst I remember lived in those houses on Gleadless Road almost opposite the church. He was a keen Star Waker and ended up a champion. Jack would be about 73-75yrs if he's still alive. I can't remember how tall he was but he's referred too quiet a bit in Sheffield Histories and there's also a photo.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

• Like 2

Jack Warhurst and his brother Norman lived on Ridgeway Road in the terrace of houses between Kirby Road and Hollinsend Road.Norman was in same class as me so will now be 72,he is on facebook and i was in contact with him a couple of years ago.Jack was living on Base Green at that time.

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies. How remarkable that people on this forum remember him. He was certainly still alive enough to buy a record off me at the Norwich Fair about 18 months ago!

I used the search function but couldn't find any other references to him. EDIT: yes I did, after taking the loop line via the internet. It seems that Warhurst is the correct spelling of his name, I had looked under "Warhirst". Quite the athlete in his younger days, I see, I'm impressed.