Exposed Tramlines

djash1000

I've got several locations with pictures, but never seen an exposure as big as this one.

4 lines into 2?

Any other geeks might want to keep an eye out down there, as they are redeveloping it, so more might be uncovered.

Exchange Place into Blonk Street

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

• Like 3

Superb!

Brilliant. Thanks guys! :)

This absolutely pinpoints what we can see now.

I hope more is exposed. It's not often you see a junction.

So the lines coming in from the left was a spur and connection from upward traffic on Waingate!

Fascinating.

Sad to see the corn exchange gone.

13 hours ago, djash1000 said:

So the lines coming in from the left was a spur and connection from upward traffic on Waingate!

Fascinating.

Sad to see the corn exchange gone.

The Rotherham and Lane Top via Attercliffe tram termini were on Exchange Street, Here is a tram turning up there and a Rotherham single ender further up.

EDIT There is a "Then and Now" on this page   -- https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/5996-then-amp-now-sheffield-trams/page/7/

corn_exchange.jpg

rotherham_single _ender_on_exchange_street.jpg

• Like 1

Great shot boginspro. If the camera was held a few degrees lower, you'd see the exact same lines. Hopefully a bit more might get dug out

@SteveHB

Looking at your ordinance survey map, where is the site that this is from please?, as I want to see if I can see the tramlines map, to identify another of my pictures. (I use the 1900 ordinance ones, but often the lines are not shown/split up, due to road names etc.

I think I posted it last time. It's on Paternoster, and clearly 2 lines converging.

I'll post the picture here:

Paternoster_Tramlines_0319_04.jpg

• Like 1

just as an aside, I must have every Sheffield [picture] History book... and I just found from looking for more picture on google, that their was a tram depot on Tenter Street. I can't believe I didn't know! Especially as a slight tram geek too :O I've never seen that in any book of mine.

10 hours ago, djash1000 said:

just as an aside, I must have every Sheffield [picture] History book... and I just found from looking for more picture on google, that their was a tram depot on Tenter Street. I can't believe I didn't know! Especially as a slight tram geek too :O I've never seen that in any book of mine.

Topic here    ----------  https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/14851-tenter-street-tram-depot/    -----------    and here --------  https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/12616-tenter-street-depot-38-townhead-street-garage-official-opening/?tab=comments#comment-105275     ------------    about Tenter Street

• Like 1

17 hours ago, djash1000 said:

@SteveHB

Looking at your ordinance survey map, where is the site that this is from please?, as I want to see if I can see the tramlines map, to identify another of my pictures. (I use the 1900 ordinance ones, but often the lines are not shown/split up, due to road names etc.

"where is the site that this is from please?"  

The map can be found here "Os Maps Of Sheffield And District (1950's) - Over 300 Of Them"     lol

• Like 1

23 hours ago, djash1000 said:

@SteveHB

It's on Paternoster, and clearly 2 lines converging.

Paternoster_Tramlines_0319_04.jpg

Not sure where you took this picture from but I think it must be at the end of Paternoster Row, It was a lovely sight seeing trams from all directions crossing these junctions and I never remember seeing anything going wrong apart from general traffic accidents.  ------  https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/437500/388500/12/100747  

paternoster.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveHB said:

"where is the site that this is from please?"  

The map can be found here "Os Maps Of Sheffield And District (1950's) - Over 300 Of Them"     lol

thanks Steve, looks like it's just missing.

15 minutes ago, boginspro said:

Not sure where you took this picture from but I think it must be at the end of Paternoster Row, It was a lovely sight seeing trams from all directions crossing these junctions and I never remember seeing anything going wrong apart from general traffic accidents.  ------  https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/437500/388500/12/100747  

paternoster.png

now THAT is a junction!

I've look on the link,

and it's a bit further down from this map

here's a screenshot from that site, I'll circle where i think it is, and also post a more zoomed out picture. The converge here.

Screenshot_2019-06-01 Old-Maps - the online repository of historic maps - Map 437500 388500 12 100954.png

I thought the haymarket/commercial street junction looked good (seen loads of photos of that when in construction)

Never seen this one though. Have you ever seen any?

12 hours ago, djash1000 said:

I've look on the link, and it's a bit further down from this map here's a screenshot from that site, I'll circle where i think it is, and also post a more zoomed out picture. The converge here.

Screenshot_2019-06-01 Old-Maps - the online repository of historic maps - Map 437500 388500 12 100954.png

There have certainly been a lot of changes round there, I don't recognise much on your photo's though I worked night buses out of Leadmill Road garage and sometimes walked straight across there and up Charles Street. Have a look at the then and now by Stuart0742  just below half way down this page featuring car 503 at that location.   ----------   https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/3030-tram-locations/page/21/

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, boginspro said:

There have certainly been a lot of changes round there, I don't recognise much on your photo's though I worked night buses out of Leadmill Road garage and sometimes walked straight across there and up Charles Street. Have a look at the then and now by Stuart0742  just below half way down this page featuring car 503 at that location.   ----------   https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/3030-tram-locations/page/21/

Ah yes, I have seen that photo. I think that this photo of stuarts is here (see same map as before but red cirlce (you can see the lines converge)

My picture was slight further down.

I'll try and do another screenshot from google.

In the google maps picture, I think the tram in the picture is about where the red circle is, where as my picture is at the green circle, in between the old end of Charles Street and top of grinders hill

Screenshot_2019-06-02 Google Maps.jpg

If you look at the photo, the now and then, the now, is slightly too far along,

you can see with the pointed triangle roof

Screenshot_2019-06-02 Tram Locations.png

talking of Paternoster Row/Brown St,

there was another slight exposure further along, almost outside spearmint rhino,

you can see it got in the way of the new pavement...

Paternoster Row 0818 1.jpg

Paternoster Row 0818 4.jpg

• Like 1

In fact, looking at google maps, it went past too when this was exposed! You can see the tracks on the right, this pinpoints the picture

Screenshot_2019-06-02 Google Maps(1).jpg

• Like 1

awww :(

went past Castlegate yesterday and they've cut them all out :(

that would have made a cool feature for new area. Instead it'll me more of those rocks/fancy paving and weeds, like everywhere else.

Wanted some of them for garden feature but unfortunately all the pieces were too big for my taxi! lol

actually, having been there today, I marked this yesterday... I actually think it's the one below and to the right.  (hard to tell, can see another the rail the left as I took it (on the right here))

Interesting also to see the old cobblestones. They seemed to have sunk under the weight of the road.