Picture Sheffield Maps

History dude

Has anyone else noticed that Picture Sheffield has been loading a lot more maps onto the site? However they are ALL such low resolution, that even when you Zoom them you still can't make out any of the details or names. I can't think why they are uploading them, except to make money from the sale of the images, because that's the only way you can see what is on the maps.

Yes, I also don't understand their thinking on this, it obviously a deliberate action, as the street photos are still at a good resolution.  They've also gone back to spoiling many pictures with an intrusive watermark. In 2013 I made a freedom of information request and we worked out that they were selling less than 5 photos per week.  They send the original documents away to a contractor for scanning, which must have costs of administration, as well as the contractor charges.  I would guess that the new maps being on the website generates more work for the Archives, as people go in and request the items to photograph for themselves.

The previous thread is here: https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/14435-picture-sheffield-change/

I believe they farm out the work to a company called Media Storehouse, as the prices seem to be the same. I recently purchased ACM/MAPS/SheD/737 from them, which is a 1785 map by Fairbank of the area around Simon Wheel, which I had not seen before. You can choose a wide range of styles and finishes, even framed pictures!

On 30/05/2019 at 00:29, History dude said:

Has anyone else noticed that Picture Sheffield has been loading a lot more maps onto the site? However they are ALL such low resolution, that even when you Zoom them you still can't make out any of the details or names. I can't think why they are uploading them, except to make money from the sale of the images, because that's the only way you can see what is on the maps.

Hia, yes, I think best thing for us all to do, is email Sheffield Archives, bringing this point to the lady who deals with Picture Sheffield 'PAT DALLMAN', and tell her we can't study the maps in detail, as we can't read the names because the copy is so bad.  

Many thanks for the comments on the maps we have been uploading to Picture Sheffield recently. The City Archives and Local Studies Library has a wonderful collection comprising thousands of maps dating from the 16th century onwards.  We are trying to give the collection a higher profile and make it available to as many people as possible.

The maps are scanned at exactly the same resolution as the photographs.  The difference however comes from the need to compress very large maps down to a size where they fit on a computer screen.  In the light of recent comments however we have reviewed how we process the map images.  The zoomed image is now larger and presented in a higher quality format.  Hopefully this allows you to see more detail without slowing down the performance of Picture Sheffield.

We are currently working our way through all of the map images on Picture Sheffield to improve them.  The series prefixed ‘arc’ is complete.  The other main set of maps (prefixed ‘y’) should be complete within a few weeks.

As well as viewing the maps on Picture Sheffield the originals remain available at the City Archives and at the Local Studies Library in the Central Library should you wish to consult them. We welcome everyone who wishes to use the service in person or online.

If you have any further comments or suggestions feel free to contact me via archives@sheffield.gov.uk

Peter Evans, Archives and Heritage Manager

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2