Troughs and Wells

chrisp1949

Does anyone know why troughs were placed in certain locations - apart from obvious one that there had to be a water supply? Or why some troughs were doubles, some had a canopy, or why there were 3 troughs -one particularly large and wide -  together on Spout Lane at Stannington? 

Chrisp

SteveHB
2 hours ago, chrisp1949 said:

Does anyone know why troughs were placed in certain locations - apart from obvious one that there had to be a water supply? Or why some troughs were doubles, some had a canopy, or why there were 3 troughs -one particularly large and wide -  together on Spout Lane at Stannington? 

Chrisp

The canopy was to prevent animals drinking and helped in stopping contamination, but would have enabled householders to collect water.

On page 7 of Sid Williamson's Memories of Broomhill Shopping Centre (1988), a 'two-tier horse trough' is described as standing in front of the original South Seas Hotel, 'on the Crookes Road side' with the 'lower part of the trough...intended as a drinking fountain for dogs.' (I think the hotel would have been demolished around the 1960s to make way for the Arndale Shopping Centre).  I wonder if there are other instances of two-tier troughs or any images in existence? 

SteveHB
27 minutes ago, Jane said:

On page 7 of Sid Williamson's Memories of Broomhill Shopping Centre (1988), a 'two-tier horse trough' is described as standing in front of the original South Seas Hotel, 'on the Crookes Road side' with the 'lower part of the trough...intended as a drinking fountain for dogs.' (I think the hotel would have been demolished around the 1960s to make way for the Arndale Shopping Centre).  I wonder if there are other instances of two-tier troughs or any images in existence? 

Could have been like this one