Troughs and Wells

SteveHB

I've often wondered how stone troughs were made.

Did they just chip out the middle with a hammer and chisel or was there some way of cutting out the middle section?

13 hours ago, rover1949 said:

I've often wondered how stone troughs were made.

Did they just chip out the middle with a hammer and chisel or was there some way of cutting out the middle section?

Most troughs you would find in the Sheffield area would have been carved from a single block of gritstone or sandstone. In some areas of Yorkshire and Derbyshire where slate was easily available they were made of sheets of slate bound together with iron staples to make them watertight, I wonder if there are any of those left in the Sheffield area.

38 minutes ago, neddy said:

An old water colour,1768049935_ringinglowpeace.jpg.40ac2dd0ac2ab2d7c72469792d088f9d.jpg

Possibly Moorfield Farm in the distance, Fulwood Lane, the llamas are between the bend in the road and Ringinglow? Is the trough hidden in the long grass?

2014677811_Ringinglow1905.jpg.1a8ff5ebd38a312f7c24f275c1df7a8e.jpg

1864295554_FulwoodLaneGoogle.jpg.6fd3d9dba4e0c089627f51a9f4142001.jpg

On 18/06/2019 at 23:17, boginspro said:

Thanks, I'll have a look at some old maps.

Hi boginspro. Been back Norton Lees, and had a word with the gentleman volunteer historian in Bishops House, he was most intrigued about the Trough and Pump, we went to have another look at the black pipes.One has a screw cap on so must be some sort of inspection pipe, the other is bent at an angle, the man thinks it was the old post for a sign that was cut off !? We looked around for clues as to where the exact location might have been, the road was widened, taking up quite a bit of ground from when this picture was taken, that makes it a bit more tricky. He said he would try and find out a bit more about it, and when I go again, we will have an indepth search from photo's and maps.

I did call at the house on the corner,and spoke to the owner explaining about the Trough and Pump, he said he didn't know about it, and had found nothing in his garden. There are quite a few feaures where digging has been done at some point.I will let you know.

Hi SteveHB, there is another now unused trough, noticed it this weekend. It is facing the 'top end' of Longline, on Sheep Hill Road, just after the bottom of the drive to the farm. It appears to have been rivited metal.

2 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi boginspro. Been back Norton Lees, and had a word with the gentleman volunteer historian in Bishops House, he was most intrigued about the Trough and Pump, we went to have another look at the black pipes.One has a screw cap on so must be some sort of inspection pipe, the other is bent at an angle, the man thinks it was the old post for a sign that was cut off !? We looked around for clues as to where the exact location might have been, the road was widened, taking up quite a bit of ground from when this picture was taken, that makes it a bit more tricky. He said he would try and find out a bit more about it, and when I go again, we will have an indepth search from photo's and maps.

I did call at the house on the corner,and spoke to the owner explaining about the Trough and Pump, he said he didn't know about it, and had found nothing in his garden. There are quite a few feaures where digging has been done at some point.I will let you know.

Thanks  Heartshome , looking again at maps and the pictures I think that if the pump is marked accurately on the old maps it looks like any clues available would be very close to the boundary wall. It surprises me that the property owner doesn't know of the old well/pump, perhaps not as nosey as me.

image.png

23 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi SteveHB, there is another now unused trough, noticed it this weekend. It is facing the 'top end' of Longline, on Sheep Hill Road, just after the bottom of the drive to the farm. It appears to have been rivited metal.

Hi Heartshome  I've had a look at the trough on Google Earth! it looks like an old galvanized water storage tank albeit a big one, big cisterns like this were installed in some of the bigger houses around Sheffield, these big tanks were used in the steel works for quenching tanks and by farmer's for horse and cattle troughs.

The biggest cistern I came across during my plumbing career was located in the roof tower of Endcliffe Hall, it was a huge construction made from slabs of slate held together by metal connecting rods.

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2019 at 22:57, Heartshome said:

7 hours ago, southside said:

Hi Heartshome  I've had a look at the trough on Google Earth! it looks like an old galvanized water storage tank albeit a big one, big cisterns like this were installed in some of the bigger houses around Sheffield, these big tanks were used in the steel works for quenching tanks and by farmer's for horse and cattle troughs.

The biggest cistern I came across during my plumbing career was located in the roof tower of Endcliffe Hall, it was a huge construction made from slabs of slate held together by metal connecting rods.

Thanks all.

sheephill_tank.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/Hvg3NwkjwBCdfnJR7

On 18/07/2019 at 06:49, SteveHB said:

If my memory serves me well, it doesn't usually, I seem to remember that it was used as a stand for milk churns awaiting collection. I may possibly remember a fellow miscreant trying to get one of the lids off to quench a thirst but if pressed I would plead the UK version of the fifth amendment

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hilldweller said:

If my memory serves me well, it doesn't usually, I seem to remember that it was used as a stand for milk churns awaiting collection. I may possibly remember a fellow miscreant trying to get one of the lids off to quench a thirst but if pressed I would plead the UK version of the fifth amendment

That brings back memories  hilldweller  , there were stone ones, brick ones and wooden ones but I can't remember another galvanised metal one.  I thought of starting a "Milk Churn Stands" topic but the only ones I may remember would now be under new developments. If anyone knows of any more that still exist this one would be a good start for that topic.

On 18/08/2019 at 16:04, hilldweller said:

Hi hilldweller. I am replying to your idea that the 'trough' was to 'stand milk churns in for collection'. I finally managed to catch the farmer and ask him. You were absolutely right, it was, as you said, and it is galvanised.

Sorry! SteveHB, have to minus it from the 'Troughs' list.

I can think of two troughs. One is on the corner of Blacksmith Lane/Main St Grenoside. The other is on Loxley road near Dam Flask Reservoir.

This one is at Loxley, on the main road between the Admiral Rodney pub and the bottom of Rodney Hill

Water troughs, Loxley.JPG

• Thanks 1

Page taken from Bradfield Parish Newsletter, March 2013, has a mention of the four toughs on Loxley Road.  www.bradfield-yorks-pc.co.uk/documents/Newsletter March 2013.pdf

Quote "Four troughs on Loxley Road are particularly interesting.
The upper troughs have a canopy, which would have enabled only the
householders to collect water, stopping animals’ access to the
water and avoiding contamination.The lower troughs were there
to provide animals with a drink. Along the front of these lower
troughs is a row of ‘Kicking Stones’ – there to prevent animal
hooves from damaging the troughs
."

brad.jpg

Edit: added to

• Like 1