Gleadless Avenue

RosePosie29

I have lived on gleadless Avenue for the past three years! Our neighbor has said there used to be an old inn at the  bottom of our garden... called The Inn... which was then demolished to  build the New Inn on hollinsend road? He states the pathway behind the pub is old original lane down to the old Inn and he has the old stone wall left in his garden. Has anyone got any further info!!? I can only find an odd building on a early 1900's map but it dosnt state what the building is. And any other history of our road would be lovely! 

Thankyou! 

49 minutes ago, RosePosie29 said:

I have lived on gleadless Avenue for the past three years! Our neighbor has said there used to be an old inn at the  bottom of our garden... called The Inn... which was then demolished to  build the New Inn on hollinsend road? He states the pathway behind the pub is old original lane down to the old Inn and he has the old stone wall left in his garden. Has anyone got any further info!!? I can only find an odd building on a early 1900's map but it dosnt state what the building is. And any other history of our road would be lovely! 

Thankyou! 

1854 /5 has Hare and Hounds Inn.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/437830/383758/10/100391

1854-5.png

This is great! Thankyou! I can see our house and a building right in garden!! 

I lived at 13 Gleadless Avenue for 13 years as a boy. I don't remember hearing of an old inn, but then my parents weren't really pub people. I do remember the New Inn, as they had a tiny miniature Yorkshire terrier called Tetley which used to scamper around outside.

Probably the main difference between the Avenue then and now was that the first two houses (nos.. 1 and 3 I suppose) were shops. The first was a grocer''s caled jenkinson's ( or "Jenks" to the locals) which later became Brown's Stores. Next door was a greengrocoer's which became Quirk's during my time there - II can't remember what its previous name was. Photos which I have seen since show that Brown's later took this over and operated the two as one big shop. Both have been private houses for some time now.

Somewhere about no. 51 was a gennel which led to Hollinsend Road. This was always known locally as "The Cinder Path" even though I think it had a tarmac surface. Is it still known by that name?