Jump to content
boginspro

Camping Lane Then and My Guess at Now.

Recommended Posts

I think this must be part of Camping Lane that has now gone. Looking at old and modern maps my best guess as to the modern location is near the bottom of Periwood Lane. I am probably miles off so would anyone knowing the area and contours of the land have a better idea. I think there was a stream in the valley bottom, I wonder if that is still open?

EDIT - I have just found it on Picture Sheffield, "Date Period:1900-1919"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303159027009?ul_noapp=true

Camping Lane.jpg

periwood_lane.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Map that shows the 'now missing' part of Camping Lane.

I used N.L.S. georeferenced maps to make my guess as to the location.  I had the idea that the stream on the old map may be in the bottom of the valley on the photo'. I couldn't find anything conclusive though and of course if it is that location could it be facing the other way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:09, boginspro said:

I used N.L.S. georeferenced maps to make my guess as to the location.  I had the idea that the stream on the old map may be in the bottom of the valley on the photo'. I couldn't find anything conclusive though and of course if it is that location could it be facing the other way?

I used to work at Laycock Engineering Archer Road Site. They had another factory and car park on Camping Lane. I used to park my car on the camping lane car park then walk along a footpath through perigree woods that was used to connect Laycock's 2 factories. To Fraser Road side of the footpath there was a stream that went into a pipe just before it reached Archer Road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Old rider said:

I used to work at Laycock Engineering Archer Road Site. They had another factory and car park on Camping Lane. I used to park my car on the camping lane car park then walk along a footpath through perigree woods that was used to connect Laycock's 2 factories. To Fraser Road side of the footpath there was a stream that went into a pipe just before it reached Archer Road.

Can you remember the contours of the land  Old rider  , could the woods be behind the camera? In the photo' there is a path going off at an angle up hill to the left which could possibly be the one on the map going from the stream towards Holmhirst Farm which is shown on the map linked to by  SteveHB . Is the stream you mention the one that goes underground in the sports ground on the modern map? If so it very nearly lines up with the one on the old map. I could  be in the wrong place altogether mind, I can't see any field boundaries on maps that seem to match the photo'..

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.3463&lon=-1.4892&layers=6&b=7

 

laycock.pngEDIT : I see that the stream goes all the way to Archer Road on the 50's map ----  https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4008-os-maps-of-sheffield-and-district-1950s-over-300-of-them/page/11/

 

stream.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I left Laycocks in 1972. Camping lane originally terminated just past the camping lane works and went into a rough track serving the allotments that went up the hill, it certainly was not a made up road as shown on the side by side map . Later on the allotments were closed and a tarmac road leading to the crematorium was made. The tragedy was that one of the labourers named Edgar had a pigeon loft on his allotment. When he got notice to quit he killed all his pigeons then hung himself in his pigeon loft. Regarding the stream it was only really visible at the side of the footpath. I cannot remember any evidence of it in the Camping lane factory car park.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Old rider said:

I left Laycocks in 1972. Camping lane originally terminated just past the camping lane works and went into a rough track serving the allotments that went up the hill, it certainly was not a made up road as shown on the side by side map . Later on the allotments were closed and a tarmac road leading to the crematorium was made. The tragedy was that one of the labourers named Edgar had a pigeon loft on his allotment. When he got notice to quit he killed all his pigeons then hung himself in his pigeon loft. Regarding the stream it was only really visible at the side of the footpath. I cannot remember any evidence of it in the Camping lane factory car park.   

Thank you, although that sad story shows how important allotments and the pigeon lofts were to many people. So many changes to that area, I had noticed that part of Camping Lane is marked on many 20th century maps as a footpath or shown as a track. I found the maps on the link below showing the works and the allotments with the crematorium shown on the overlay.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.3444&lon=-1.4907&layers=193&b=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you boginspro the photograph was taken from the lane coming down from Pedigree Woods! Looking over to the left the lane climbs up the hill past Holmhurst Farm(circled) and onward to meet up with Holmhurst Road. Camping Lane winds over to the right,climbing up the hill on its way to Abbey Lane. 

Holmhurst Farm.jpg

Norton Hollow.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, southside said:

I agree with you boginspro the photograph was taken from the lane coming down from Pedigree Woods! Looking over to the left the lane climbs up the hill past Holmhurst Farm(circled) and onward to meet up with Holmhurst Road. Camping Lane winds over to the right,climbing up the hill on its way to Abbey Lane. 

I haven't found any maps that seem to show exactly the same field boundaries or tree lines. so went for that location only because I can't see anywhere else it could be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×