THE SHEFFIELD GUIDE TO KELHAM ISLAND

deejayone

A new project I'm working on about Sheffield Stuff... This first full one is a look at the up-and-coming Kelham Island area. 

The full video Premieres on YouTube live tomorrow (Wednesday) at 7pm here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiCQN77R1go 

In the meantime, here's a brief trailer:

Watch the first showing live at 7pm on Wednesday on YouTube where there'll be a live chat to discuss the video, places, facts and any possible mistakes(!) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiCQN77R1go (If you have a YouTube account log in on that page and click the button to set a reminder for when it goes live - and feel free to subscribe to the channel for more as they are made). 

• Like 1

Phew; very exhaustive. The thing that hits me most about today's Sheffield scene is just how clean everything is. In the late sixties when, as a student, I used to venture down there driving a Pinder's van delivering drawing office requisites to the manufacturing companies, I remember how filthy black everything was. What a turnaround! I must make another visit to eat, drink and take in the new atmosphere. 

11 hours ago, John Russell said:

Phew; very exhaustive. The thing that hits me most about today's Sheffield scene is just how clean everything is. In the late sixties when, as a student, I used to venture down there driving a Pinder's van delivering drawing office requisites to the manufacturing companies, I remember how filthy black everything was. What a turnaround! I must make another visit to eat, drink and take in the new atmosphere. 

I had to leave off some places, and missed a good few places too! It really is a thriving area.

One sector I didn't manage to cover in this video is the small industry of makers in the area, almost back to the "little mesters" times with knifemakers, fashion and clothing designers, jewellery crafters and more. Everyone seems to be in it together around there too - a real Sheffield community spirit.

Your comment about how clean it is really hits home too - I remember it when it was a filthy place, the difference is remarkable.

Great stuff, James.

Its been a few years since we used to do the Riverside, Kelham and Gardeners on a regular basis.

Probably stopped going round about the time of the flood when the Gardeners was completely trashed.

Heard from our kids about the great scene that had developed in our absence, Cutlery Works in particular.

Having seen your vid we’re definitely going to give it another shot.

On 10/05/2019 at 16:25, paulhib48 said:

Great stuff, James.

Its been a few years since we used to do the Riverside, Kelham and Gardeners on a regular basis.

Probably stopped going round about the time of the flood when the Gardeners was completely trashed.

Heard from our kids about the great scene that had developed in our absence, Cutlery Works in particular.

Having seen your vid we’re definitely going to give it another shot.

Thank you!

Definitely worth a trip - you'd be surprised how much more vibrant the area is even from when you stopped going.

Try to fit in a Peddler Market weekend (first Friday/Saturday of every month) and you'll be amazed just how busy the area gets!

On 08/05/2019 at 18:38, deejayone said:

Watch the full video here:

This is great - nicely done