A short essay regarding Colliery Road

Karl McAuley

Hello

The other day I was cycling round Brightside and went up Colliery Road and wondered why it was there, its too narrow for two way traffic and the bridges are too low. After some time researching I have written this short essay, I think I have gleaned as much as I can for this without having to make a visit to Sheffield Archives.

https://www.g7smy.co.uk/2019/04/history-colliery-road/

brightside_1854-2018-768x491.png.5208187316a8a332f67c3993b7a088a5.png

Karl

• Like 1

I don't know when Colliery Road was limited to pedestrian traffic only but certainly in the 1960's it was open to normal one way traffic with a height restriction.

Circa around 1966 I used to work at the Greenland Road branch of AEI Traction Division. It was a bit of a trek catching two busses to get there from Malin Bridge and some helpful soul told me about a chap who worked in the fettling shop that gave lifts from my area. What he didn't tell me that he was the northern hemispheres' worst car driver. He used to pick me up on Holme Lane and sometimes I managed to get both legs in the car before he set off. I normally kept both eyes firmly closed until we got there. He used a variety of short cuts, one of which involved cutting down Colliery Lane from Holywell Road. One morning we get a hundred yards down the lane before we came to a halt in a line of traffic. (The short cut was very popular). Some distance in front a big lorry had managed to jam itself under the first bridge. It was only about 6 feet too tall !

We had to wait until the police closed off Holywell Lane and reversed the large snake of traffic back out of the lane. I suspect that was when the traffic restrictions were introduced.

55 minutes ago, hilldweller said:

I don't know when Colliery Road was limited to pedestrian traffic only but certainly in the 1960's it was open to normal one way traffic with a height restriction.

Good point, when was the road closed to traffic? Google found a council document saying the road was finally closed became part of the Lower Don Valley Cycle Route in around 2016.

https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Public-reports-pack-26th-Sep-2016-14.00-Sheffield-City-Region-Combined-Authority-Transport-Committ.pdf

I shall add that factoid to the web page.

Thanks