The front parlour

Stunmon

I remember my mother in laws terraced house where the front room was never used. It was cleaned and dusted once a week and only used if visitors called or for funerals. Even though they had three children, the kitchen was used for everything, cooking, homework and for bathtime. Is it a working class thing do you think?

The same in our house. The fire was lit in the dining room / kitchen in the morning to heat the water and to cook our evening meal in the oven. Front room was only used on a Sunday until TV came along. The sometimes if it was cold father would transfer some of the range fire into the front room very carefully on ashovel 

My Mum-in-law's Parlour, was in the middle of the ground floor of the house, between the Kitchen and the Front Room. All the family ate at table in the huge kitchen, the children all sat and did homework there, then went into the Front room to play games or watch telly. The middle room, was for Visiting Grown Ups, having conversation with tea and biscuits, away from noisy children. You were NOT allowed in there.