Jump to content

Derbyshire Lane Corner Shop


Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any memories or pictures of the Corner Shop on Derbyshire Lane in Meersbrook. I have looked on Picture Sheffield and found one picture but any extra info or pictures would be great. I am Assistant Producer for Wall to Wall media and we are filming the next back in Time series for the BBC in Sheffield this summer. 

Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Heartshome

Hi CharB. Depending on which Corner Shop you want info on, I have friends who live in the area, and they were always down the one on corner of Derbyshire Lane/Norton Lees Rd, as it was a general store and beer-off. The one on the opposite side of the road a bit higher up, used to be a TV/ Radio repair shop I think, though I don't know what it was originally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Heartshome

Hi CharB, been up to my friends at Norton Lees, walked down to look at the larger 'Corner Shop' corner of , Derbyshire Lane& Norton Lees Rd. We see that progress is been made on restoring the look of the shop, the canopy trimmings round the top of the premises are brilliant, can't wait to see it when it's finished looking like it used to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
paulhib48

Does anyone remember this Beer Off when Fred and Sheila Wright had it in the early 70s?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Heartshome
On 08/07/2019 at 15:35, paulhib48 said:

Does anyone remember this Beer Off when Fred and Sheila Wright had it in the early 70s?

Hi Paul. Asked my friends who live just up the road, they haven't heard their name mentioned, sorry!

There is an elder gentleman age 89 who lives on Norton Lees Rd that my friends know, his Grandfather used to run the shop, early 20th c, he might know of them, my friends will ask for you. He has been talking to the film crew, as have my friends, and I was up this weekend, and got chance for a chat and look at the shop now it is dressed Victorian, brilliant work! got a few pics. They are filming over the next 2 weeks, as they alter the shop through time. It will be most interesting for everyone who knows that shop, to see how they depict it altering over the years, compared to what it actually was like. Don't know when it will be shown, but it's a must to watch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
paulhib48

Hi Heartshome. Thank you for your response.

Fred and Sheila had the shop late 60s early 70s if my memory serves me correctly. It was a traditional off licence.

I knew them cos they used to socialise a lot with friends we had that ran another corner shop in the area. It was called Husseys and was on the corner of Welby Place and CliffeField Rd. It was run by Mary Robinson and had been her mother’s shop, I believe.

Now that was a classic corner shop where they just sat in the parlour till the door bell rang and after a certain time they just knocked on the back door if they wanted anything. Literally Open all Hours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Heartshome
15 hours ago, paulhib48 said:

Hi Heartshome. Thank you for your response.

Fred and Sheila had the shop late 60s early 70s if my memory serves me correctly. It was a traditional off licence.

I knew them cos they used to socialise a lot with friends we had that ran another corner shop in the area. It was called Husseys and was on the corner of Welby Place and CliffeField Rd. It was run by Mary Robinson and had been her mother’s shop, I believe.

Now that was a classic corner shop where they just sat in the parlour till the door bell rang and after a certain time they just knocked on the back door if they wanted anything. Literally Open all Hours.

Hi Paul, there seems to have been quite a few 'corner shops'  around the area. My friends live opposite where there used to be one on the corner of Norton Lees Rd and Cliffe Field Rd. It closed late 70's, there are several photo's of it on Picture Sheffield. There was also a fab bakery and cake shop, 2 doors away from my Mum-in-law's on Norton Lees Rd, the smell from the back door was wonderful, it became a Hairdressers after the Bakers closed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jackanne

I remember Wrights shop,i was a salesman for Mcvities cakes in early 70s and they were one of my customers,nice people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
southside

In the late 60s my soon to be wife lived a couple of houses up from Wright's off licence on the corner of Norton Lee's Rd, remember calling in on many an occasion for the wife's aunt!  usually with an empty sherry bottle for a refill from the small casks of sherry kept on the countertop. Mrs Wright (Sheila) would ask do you want cream or cooking sherry? needless to say we were under orders to get the cheapest. (don't think the wife's aunt used it all for cooking though)

Also remember a workshop type building with big green doors a little way up Norton Lee's Rd on the right hand side, where a guy kept his traction engine, you'd hear it chugging up and down the hill on the odd occasions he took it out for a spin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Heartshome
6 hours ago, southside said:

In the late 60s my soon to be wife lived a couple of houses up from Wright's off licence on the corner of Norton Lee's Rd, remember calling in on many an occasion for the wife's aunt!  usually with an empty sherry bottle for a refill from the small casks of sherry kept on the countertop. Mrs Wright (Sheila) would ask do you want cream or cooking sherry? needless to say we were under orders to get the cheapest. (don't think the wife's aunt used it all for cooking though)

Also remember a workshop type building with big green doors a little way up Norton Lee's Rd on the right hand side, where a guy kept his traction engine, you'd hear it chugging up and down the hill on the odd occasions he took it out for a spin.

Hi southside. JOHN still has his Traction Engine there, he also has some Vintage Cars he takes to shows as well. Everyone knows him around the area, and if he's about, is more than happy to chat about the Engine, it's brilliant to see it all fired up. There are some old photo's of that property on Picture Sheffield, as well as some other views of Norton Lees Road which are pretty interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
sovrappeso

The shop was known as Wright's beer-off in the early 1950s. I think the shop diagonally opposite was a butchers at that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Meersbrook
5 hours ago, sovrappeso said:

The shop was known as Wright's beer-off in the early 1950s. I think the shop diagonally opposite was a butchers at that time.

Think the butchers was Broadhead. The Broadhead's moved into the other butchers shop, a bit lower down fron beer-off, when they closed.

Some of the other shops were, Co-op, Swallow's newagents, Stephenson wet fish, a chemist, Middleton fish n chip shop

Link to post
Share on other sites
sovrappeso

I remember those shops quite well. Starting at the bottom of the row were: The Co-op, Oldham's sweet shop, Watson's Bakery, Swallow's newsagents & toys, Stevenson's fishmongers, Dalton's ?

chemists, Middleton's chip shop, and Wright's beer-off on the corner. I may have missed a couple out & the order might be slightly wrong, but it's over 60 years since I lived in the area. Come to think of it, there was Cheetham's greengrocers on the corner of Norton Lees Rd & Cockayne Place, Cotterells greengrocers on the corner of Cockayne Place & Cliffe Field Rd , with Cutts' grocers on the opposite corner. There were 2 other corner shops a bit further on Cliffe Field Rd & a mid-terrace shop as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Meersbrook
5 hours ago, sovrappeso said:

I remember those shops quite well. Starting at the bottom of the row were: The Co-op, Oldham's sweet shop, Watson's Bakery, Swallow's newsagents & toys, Stevenson's fishmongers, Dalton's ?

chemists, Middleton's chip shop, and Wright's beer-off on the corner. I may have missed a couple out & the order might be slightly wrong, but it's over 60 years since I lived in the area. Come to think of it, there was Cheetham's greengrocers on the corner of Norton Lees Rd & Cockayne Place, Cotterells greengrocers on the corner of Cockayne Place & Cliffe Field Rd , with Cutts' grocers on the opposite corner. There were 2 other corner shops a bit further on Cliffe Field Rd & a mid-terrace shop as well.

 

Cutts grocers got took over by Barry Webster, who played for Rotherham United. Then at bottom of Pearson was Mrs Brown's a grocers. at bottom of welby was Marys. at Norton Lees Rd/Cliffield Rd was I think Richardson another grocers. I was told that the house at the junction of Cliffe Field and Crawford was a chip shop but long before my time. At top of Welby was a grocers. opposite that was the bakery which was next door to kitty cat Florie, she had loads of cats as pets. on other side to bakery was a hardware shop. Another grocers shop was on Norton Lees Rd just round corner from Pearson. 

Opposite to beer-off nearly was Azellwood's garage/Baptist Ch that fell down after heavy snow 2014

Meersbrook Baptist Ch -Azellwood Garage, Derbyshire Ln (2).JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
southside
22 hours ago, Meersbrook said:

Cutts grocers got took over by Barry Webster, who played for Rotherham United. Then at bottom of Pearson was Mrs Brown's a grocers. at bottom of welby was Marys. at Norton Lees Rd/Cliffield Rd was I think Richardson another grocers. I was told that the house at the junction of Cliffe Field and Crawford was a chip shop but long before my time. At top of Welby was a grocers. opposite that was the bakery which was next door to kitty cat Florie, she had loads of cats as pets. on other side to bakery was a hardware shop. Another grocers shop was on Norton Lees Rd just round corner from Pearson. 

Opposite to beer-off nearly was Azellwood's garage/Baptist Ch that fell down after heavy snow 2014

Meersbrook Baptist Ch -Azellwood Garage, Derbyshire Ln (2).JPG

I remember the corner property previously (Aizlewoods) was in the ownership of a scrap dealer called Sanderson in the early 70s.

I believe Fred Wright took over the running of the off licence from his father!

Link to post
Share on other sites
sovrappeso

Just remembered another couple of shops: the end terrace house on Norton Lees Rd next to the park was a chip shop in the 1950s & across the road was one of those mysterious shops where nobody ever seemed to go in or come out of. The name above the door was Marion & the woodwork was never repainted for years though it badly needed doing.

The headmaster of Meersbrook Bank in the 1950s was Mr Aizlewood. I often wondered if he had any connection with the garage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
southside
On 25/07/2019 at 16:09, sovrappeso said:

I remember those shops quite well. Starting at the bottom of the row were: The Co-op, Oldham's sweet shop, Watson's Bakery, Swallow's newsagents & toys, Stevenson's fishmongers, Dalton's ?

chemists, Middleton's chip shop, and Wright's beer-off on the corner. I may have missed a couple out & the order might be slightly wrong, but it's over 60 years since I lived in the area. Come to think of it, there was Cheetham's greengrocers on the corner of Norton Lees Rd & Cockayne Place, Cotterells greengrocers on the corner of Cockayne Place & Cliffe Field Rd , with Cutts' grocers on the opposite corner. There were 2 other corner shops a bit further on Cliffe Field Rd & a mid-terrace shop as well.

 

sovrappeso  :  The shops on Derbyshire Lane from the 1957 Kellys Street Directory

Derbyshire Lane.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
sovrappeso

Thanks for the info SteveHB. It seems my memory is nowhere near as good as I thought it was! I have no recollection of about half the shops on the list. The Stevensons must have a thing about fish because they had several aquariums full of tropical fish in the back room. By the way, how do you access these directories?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
southside

 New series:  Back in Time for the Corner Shop starts on Tue the 25th Feb 8pm BBC 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
steamstreak50

The shop that was the tv repair shop used to be Eric Broadhead

butchers until he moved to take over the other butchers in Derbyshire Lane when he retired 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...