Ring Road and Kelham Island 2005

djash1000

I've been uploading my old Sheffield footage again, with slightly better editing this time. I drove around Kelham Island earlier, and linked this to my new postings in here :)

I'm glad I found this old recording from 2005. Although it's not exactly ancient history, I was originally just recording sections of the old ring road, but on way home, had decided to drive around Kelham Island - and glad I did now!

It really shows the difference. I remember that the Alfred Beckett building being one of the first to be 'done up'. It reminds me that when I drove around there that it seemed like a risk to buy there, but could pay off (as I seen Manc/Birm old areas revamped), and if the area was done up well it would work. 

- I was disappointed recently though, that the building on Green Lane (before the old school building - on the right - in the film) didn't at least retain the front. (it's currently in building process - this one)

• Like 2

This is what the building was before, on google screen shots...

certainly the building front, on the nearest building could have been retained (Green Lane/Dunfields)

I'd be stricter with planning permission around there. It's looking good and popular, but that's because of the old buildings done up. Some I agree done well, and no value in old building. I'd don't want to see more of these go though.

That's a great film and as I live in Kelham Island especially fascinating.

About the building on the corner of Green Lane and Dunfields... the original plan was to restore it but the developers decided it was in too poor condition. However, they've since taken it down and rebuilt it entirely and if you see it now it looks almost exactly as it did before. Behind the old bricks it's a concrete structure but you wouldn't know. They've done a great job.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndersH said:

That's a great film and as I live in Kelham Island especially fascinating.

About the building on the corner of Green Lane and Dunfields... the original plan was to restore it but the developers decided it was in too poor condition. However, they've since taken it down and rebuilt it entirely and if you see it now it looks almost exactly as it did before. Behind the old bricks it's a concrete structure but you wouldn't know. They've done a great job.

Hi AndersH,

Yes, I've seen it now the covers are off.

Hats off to this one! The 'new' old building looks absolutely superb! Great job, I wonder if they were told to do it, or what?

I hope to see more of these rather than potentially ugly new builds.

wow the old corporation street. that brings back memories. in the 90s picking my mum up from work on leopold street, then going back down west bar onto corporation street then onto pitsmoor road.

didn't realise how much has changed. 

On 07/04/2019 at 21:23, djash1000 said:

I've been uploading my old Sheffield footage again, with slightly better editing this time. I drove around Kelham Island earlier, and linked this to my new postings in here :)

I'm glad I found this old recording from 2005. Although it's not exactly ancient history, I was originally just recording sections of the old ring road, but on way home, had decided to drive around Kelham Island - and glad I did now!

It really shows the difference. I remember that the Alfred Beckett building being one of the first to be 'done up'. It reminds me that when I drove around there that it seemed like a risk to buy there, but could pay off (as I seen Manc/Birm old areas revamped), and if the area was done up well it would work. 

- I was disappointed recently though, that the building on Green Lane (before the old school building - on the right - in the film) didn't at least retain the front. (it's currently in building process - this one)

This is fantastic!
Thank you for posting this