Sheffield Polytechnic 1969

SteveHB

I attended the poly 1964 - 1966 for the higher Electrical City & Guilds qualification. The Electrical Machines Laboratory was on the third floor above the entrance. At break time we used to rush downstairs to get a cup of coffee in the café on the bus station. Then at lunch time a group of us would walk into town to get a cheap Chinese dinner. 

The Polytechnic was called the College of Technology when i started my City & Guilds course there in 1961. My leap into the world of an apprentice plumber was an introduction course at the old Salmon Pastures School on Attercliffe Road (the school was in use as a training center for the Building Trade).

From the age of 15 to 18 you attended 2 evening and 1 day release class, from 18 to 20 you did 3 evening classes.

At the age of 18 you became an improver and trusted to carry out small jobs independent from your Master Plumber mentor and became too valuable to the Firm for you to attend day release classes. You had a pay increase every year on your birthday up to the age of 21 when you were then payed the full union rate (on qualification) some Firms payed above the union rate!  A couple of fellow apprentices worked for Firm`s that required you to sign indentures binding you to that company for several years after serving your apprenticeship.

The plumbing, heating and gas workshops at the Tech in Pond Street were all located on the lower tier of the original building.

College of Technology.jpg

I was there late 60s doing my HNC in Mechanical Engineering.

Does anyone remember the tower crane collapsing?  On of our lecturers used it as example of structural failure.