Grammar schools in Sheffield around 1890 - 1902

AlanE

Hi,

I am researching my grandfather - George Edward Huntley - I mentioned him in another post. I know he went to university so I assume he must have gone to a good school in Sheffield at the time. I have tried searching issues of the school magazine for the Sheffield Royal Grammar School as it was back then and his name does not appear. What other schools in Sheffield were there that he may have gone to? His family were reasonably well off so I think could have afforded school fees. I'm hoping to track down which school he attended. 

Many thanks for any advice!!!

Other schools around in 1901 were:

University House, 31 Havelock Street, for young working men, established 1901

The Central Secondary Schools, Leopold Street (annexed the Firth College in 1906)

Sheffield Middle Class Schools, Paradise Square

The Boys Blue Coat Charity School (ages 8 -14)

Wesley College, Glossop Road (as Lyn noted, would be merged with the Royal Grammar School in 1905)

Westbourne Preparatory School

King Edwards was always regarded as the highest grammar school in Sheffield where the boys with the best 11plus exam results were sent. High Storrs was regarded as the second best. 

At that time, High Storrs would have been the Central Technical School located on Leopold Street in the city centre