Hello

AlanE

Hi,

I have recently moved to Sheffield, and come from Sussex originally however my maternal grandfather came from here, born in 1884. I'm interested in finding out more about his years here. He emigrated to Australia after the 2nd World War and died there in 1981. 

His name was George Huntley and grew up in Ecclesall. His father Kossuth Huntley worked on the railways. He married a Sheffielder named Mary Jane Padley in 1872. George Huntley rose to rank of Sergeant in WW1 and worked with a motorised ambulance convoy and was in the Somme in 1916/17. 

They are supposed to have been a well known family in their day but that was a long time ago.  I have very few photos of the family but attach some here. George is in uniform pictured around 1915. His brother Louis here appeared in a 1928 article about the Charfield train accident in Gloucestershire in which their sister was killed. The sister who died, Clara Johnson, is also pictured as are their parents Kossuth Huntley and Mary Jane Padley 

George was a mechanical engineer and worked out of Norfolk Row between the wars where he was an agent for popular makes of cars and lorries of the day.

Cheers,

Alan Evans

George Edward Huntley.jpg

Louis Huntley October 1928.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 20.40.05.png

Clara Annie Huntley.jpg

Kossuth Huntley.jpg

Mary Jane Padley.jpg

I should add that I'd be very grateful if anyone might have any information to add or comments to make. I only discovered my grandfather's identity last year - but that's another story. He grew up on Dobbin Hill and I found one of his uncle's graves at Ecclesall Parish Church. In order the photos are George Huntley, Louis Huntley (brother), one of George's advertisements in the local press, his sister Clara Johnson (née Huntley), father Kossuth Huntley (named after Lajos Kossuth, the Hungarian nationalist and revolutionary), and finally Mary Jane Padley.

On 17/03/2019 at 22:29, AlanE said:

I should add that I'd be very grateful if anyone might have any information to add or comments to make. I only discovered my grandfather's identity last year - but that's another story. He grew up on Dobbin Hill and I found one of his uncle's graves at Ecclesall Parish Church. In order the photos are George Huntley, Louis Huntley (brother), one of George's advertisements in the local press, his sister Clara Johnson (née Huntley), father Kossuth Huntley (named after Lajos Kossuth, the Hungarian nationalist and revolutionary), and finally Mary Jane Padley.

George Edward Huntley a consulting engineer of St James Row Sheffield, said that an insurance company had asked him to examine the van .

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 22 September 1925

Sheffield 1.JPG

Sheffield 2.JPG

Articles of clothing worn by Mrs Clara Ann Johnson were identified by her brother, Mr George Huntley, of Louth Road, Sheffield.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 25 October 1928

Sheffield 1.JPG

Sheffield 2.JPG

Fascinating reading. I had read other articles about the Charfield crash but not these. My grandfather was apparently a ladies' man and I suspect that his failing to give his proper name was for such reasons. I like the fact that in the above article, he is referred to as a young man when he was 46 at the time.

• Thanks 1