RAOB Sir John Drake Lodge

johnm

Here is a photo of my grandad Harry Watson Moore (4th from left) in teh Sir John  Drake Lodge which according to an earlier entry on here met at teh Wellington Hotel, Grimesthorpe Road. Harry worked at Firth Browns as a plater/driller & lived at 305 Petre Street. Does anyone know exactly where teh Wellington Hotel was please? Also any other details about teh Lodge & its members?

Thanks, John

Grandad Harry W Moore in Buffs  late 1930's.jpg

The Wellington Inn, also called Hotel, and on the 1890 map below called the Duke of Wellington was on Brightside Lane (number 720) at the junction with Hawke Street.

438678325_WellingtonInn1890.jpg.f3ab909ce1186a48a57449261ad856c9.jpg

Hi Edmund. Yes I know that Wellington having used it a lot when I wworked at English Steel. The one I am after is stated to be on Grimesthorpe Road

By 1926 until at least 1929, the 856 Lodge were meeting at the Grapes Inn, Gower Street (at the junction with Earsham Street).

According to my 1908 R.A.O.B. GLE Directory

856 Sir John Drake, Wellington Hotel, Grimesthorpe Road

So they were there for quite a while.

The lodge regalia was still in use in the 1990s, albeit on new collars, but I can't remember which lodge had it.

I wonder if it could be one of these, can anyone put names to them?

1911 Whites
Edmunds George, beerhouse, 61 Grimesthorpe road, bottom corner of Danville Street opposite Tea Gardens hotel
Ward Willie Leon, beerhouse, 62 Grimesthorpe road top corner Buckenham Road.
Norton Simeon, beer house, 123 Grimesthorpe road top corner of Earldom Road.

And this map possibly shows a public house on the opposite corner of Earldom road to number 123.
I think/hope I have put them in the right place on this map.

I think in my time in Sheffield that there was a Wellington near the Victoria in Grimesthorpe , but again that wouldn't have been on Grimesthorpe Road.

grimesthorpe_road.png

Edmunds George, beerhouse, 61 Grimesthorpe road, bottom corner of Danville Street opposite Tea Gardens hotel = Danville Inn / Hotel
Ward Willie Leon, beerhouse, 62 Grimesthorpe road top corner Buckenham Road. = Buckenham or Buck Inn / Hotel
Norton Simeon, beer house, 123 Grimesthorpe road top corner of Earldom Road. = Normanton Arms

And this map possibly shows a public house on the opposite corner of Earldom road to number 123. = 152 Grimesthorpe Road, beer-off licence only, transferred in 1926 from Albert Roper to Edward Conroy. (photo on Picture Sheffield, in 1970, corner of Earldom Road, when it was the premises of Sydney Green, money lender)

• Like 1

I have come to teh conclusion that it was in fact the Wellington Inn, Carlisle Rd which is just off Grimesthorpe Rd as I can't find any record of a Wellington Hotel on Grimesthorpe Rd.

Great photograph. Never seen this before. My grandfather was part of the same Lodge, and is sat front right in the photo.  George Moore (unsure if he was related to your Grandad?).  My grandfather on my mothers side (Beryl Moore) was the landlord at The Grapes on Gower Street from the 1930s until retirement in 1966 (which ironically is also mentioned in this thread). Do you have any other related info’ or photos?

18 hours ago, Neil Simpson said:

Great photograph. Never seen this before. My grandfather was part of the same Lodge, and is sat front right in the photo.  George Moore (unsure if he was related to your Grandad?).  My grandfather on my mothers side (Beryl Moore) was the landlord at The Grapes on Gower Street from the 1930s until retirement in 1966 (which ironically is also mentioned in this thread). Do you have any other related info’ or photos?

HI Neil, My grandad Harry Watson Moore initially lived on Jamaica Street up to 1932  then moved to 309  Petre Street where he died on 12 Dec 1945 only a few months after the Buffs photo was taken I think in  May 1945. I can't find a George Moore in his immediate family .

Sadly that is the only Buffs photo I have which I think was taken to commemorate his "Exaltation to the Roll of Honour" on 1 May 1945. I also have a medal given to him on that occasion.

Cheers, John