Alhambra Music Hall, 15 Union Street

Celia Renshaw

Could anyone point me towards photos or descriptions of the Alhambra which was at 15 Union Street (according to you knowledgeable Sheffield History members). I am writing a novel in which characters go for a performance at the Alhambra on 5 May 1876. There's an advert for the Alhambra on Union St/Norfolk St in Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 2 May. I'd like to give an authentic description of the interior including any foyer it had. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Celia Renshaw said:

Could anyone point me towards photos or descriptions of the Alhambra which was at 15 Union Street (according to you knowledgeable Sheffield History members). I am writing a novel in which characters go for a performance at the Alhambra on 5 May 1876. There's an advert for the Alhambra on Union St/Norfolk St in Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 2 May. I'd like to give an authentic description of the interior including any foyer it had. Any help would be much appreciated.

There is a description of the Alhambra included in a report on the fire which burnt it down on 1st June 1882 (the Empire was later built on the site) - see link below:

This account of the destruction by fire, goes into some detail about the interior of the building, the decoration etc. which mIght be useful in your narrative?

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-11866-0-26249300-1356032935.png

It enlarges quite well and is very interesting.... an extract is attached with some of the details.

07790EB4-A2B9-4492-9C97-8A17DEEABA82.jpeg