G.C.R.

roy1942

Most of the Rail threads can be found in the Buses,Trams and Trains section on this site though Sheffield Victoria station has generated quite few mentions elsewhere.There are two Ian Allan books by Stephen R Batty "Rail Centres: Sheffield" and "Railways of Sheffield" containing a wide variety of photographs and history in the South Yorkshire area that might interest you. If you could expand your post, on more specifically what sort of responses you expect (i.e photos or personal anecdotes etc), then I'm sure the posts will appear.

There is a G C R Society website here   http://www.gcrsociety.co.uk/index.html if that helps. 

For your interest the Great Central Railway started as the "Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway" connecting Manchester and Sheffield via the Woodhead Tunnel. ( Dad called it the " mucky slow & Lazy")

Then the line it was extended to London and renamed the Great Central Railway. The interesting thing is that the line to London was built to the larger continental Berne loading gauge rather than the British standard loading gauge. After the opening of the Channel Tunnel there have been calls to reopen the London to Sheffield line to permit through goods trains from the continent to travel to the north of England without having to trans ship goods to our smaller wagons.    

20 hours ago, roy1942 said:

railways around &I through rother valley in the 50s,60s

As Voldy said, there is a lot of information on this site regarding the Great Central Railway, the Railway Stations post by  Stuart0742 linked to below even starts with a map / diagram of the tracks round the Sheffield including  the Rother Valley area.      ------

On 24/02/2019 at 12:54, Old rider said:

For your interest the Great Central Railway started as the "Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway" connecting Manchester and Sheffield via the Woodhead Tunnel. ( Dad called it the " mucky slow & Lazy")

Then the line it was extended to London and renamed the Great Central Railway. The interesting thing is that the line to London was built to the larger continental Berne loading gauge rather than the British standard loading gauge. After the opening of the Channel Tunnel there have been calls to reopen the London to Sheffield line to permit through goods trains from the continent to travel to the north of England without having to trans ship goods to our smaller wagons.    

It is ironical that this, the last main line to be built in Britain, was also the first to close, or at least most of it was. Thanks for the information about the bigger loading gauge - I never knew that.