An Interesting Picture of Old High Street.

boginspro

So many interesting things in this postcard on Ebay. The well known buildings of the period including the Foster's buildings, Central Hotel and Cafe, Walsh's and in the distance the Fitzalan Market Hall and, I think, old Town Hall. 
What really appeals to me though are the different vehicles, the trams, a Growler, what looks like a Landau and two donkey carts carrying advertisements for The Empire.            ------------------

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382787090206?ul_noapp=true

old_high_street.jpg

• Like 2

Here is one of my Grandfather's glass slides of High Street that looks to be taken from about the same place

High st.jpg

• Like 4

On 19/02/2019 at 20:42, boginspro said:

So many interesting things in this postcard on Ebay. The well known buildings of the period including the Foster's buildings, Central Hotel and Cafe, Walsh's and in the distance the Fitzalan Market Hall and, I think, old Town Hall. 
What really appeals to me though are the different vehicles, the trams, a Growler, what looks like a Landau and two donkey carts carrying advertisements for The Empire.            ------------------

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382787090206?ul_noapp=true

Facinating photographs, they say (picturesheffield.com) 1900-1919.

http://www.picturesheffield.com s17311

4 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Facinating photographs, they say (picturesheffield.com) 1900-1919.

The tram in the foreground was built 1900/1901, there are no signs of wartime posters  or uniforms that I can see, so I would guess it's pre 1914, or are there other clues?  I wish I could see what was on at the Empire.

from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 20th April 1926:

PASSING OF THE GROWLER

"Horse-drawn cabs, commonly known as "Growlers" are in very little demand today they are too slow for these times. At the railway stations a few of the "growlers" are still to be found on the ranks." 

Leeds station had banned them but in Sheffield the rights to use the station approaches was down to individual firms and there were still a few "growlers", waiting hours for a customer who dreaded fast moving traffic and didn't mind a slow journey. A representative from Reuben Thompson Ltd, said that the real reason for retaining them was to give employment for some of their old servants.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rover1949 said: Go on, - what's a growler ??
As explained by  Edmund   , a four wheeler cab, and named because of the noise they made over the cobbles. This is the one I believe is a Growler as the driver looks to be dressed as a cabby, if he was dressed in a uniform with top hat it would suggest a private four wheeler and would probably be referred to as a Clarence by its owner. The open top one judging by the coachman looks like a private one possibly a Landau.       EDIT, I just noticed on the close up that there appears to be another donkey advertising cart behind it.

growler.png

That's a very interesting picture  Old rider and so clear, there looks to be a Growler in that one at the side of a covered delivery/workman's cart. I think you can actually see the front window of the Growler. That picture also clearly shows the very different types of clothing worn at the time, rich man to working man including I think a smart looking tram conductor. I always look at the footwear because I was a shoe repairer before people started wearing lumps of plastic on their feet.  I see you say "one of my Grandfather's glass slides", any chance you could share more with us, possibly in a whole new topic?

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:51, boginspro said:

That's a very interesting picture  Old rider and so clear, there looks to be a Growler in that one at the side of a covered delivery/workman's cart. I think you can actually see the front window of the Growler. That picture also clearly shows the very different types of clothing worn at the time, rich man to working man including I think a smart looking tram conductor. I always look at the footwear because I was a shoe repairer before people started wearing lumps of plastic on their feet.  I see you say "one of my Grandfather's glass slides", any chance you could share more with us, possibly in a whole new topic?

My grandfather was a keen amateur photographer who died before I was born. My father had a box of his 3" glass slides that I inherited and have now digitised. Unfortunately only 2 are of Sheffield street scenes. Many of them are in the Yorkshire dales. There is even one that he took in Bruges and took one from the same bridge in Bruges to prove it.  I have uploaded Fitzalan square previously. "Blade forging" was written on the other picture and may be my Grandmother's family.

Fitzalan sq.jpg

Blade forging.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old rider said:

My grandfather was a keen amateur photographer who died before I was born. My father had a box of his 3" glass slides that I inherited and have now digitised. Unfortunately only 2 are of Sheffield street scenes. Many of them are in the Yorkshire dales. There is even one that he took in Bruges and took one from the same bridge in Bruges to prove it.  I have uploaded Fitzalan square previously. "Blade forging" was written on the other picture and may be my Grandmother's family.

Thank you, very interesting and such high quality images from so far back..

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 19:05, boginspro said:

Thank you, very interesting and such high quality images from so far back..

If you have old glass lantern slides make a light box the photograph them with a digital camera.