Firth Park, Fir Vale, Page Hall adverts

Lyn 1

Carter's Post Office, Bellhouse Road was directly across the road from us. His son if I remember, had asthma and I'm not certain whether he went cycling with the lads who frequented the soft drink/sasprarilla bar at the back of the shop but he joined in their chatter on the red upholstered stools and seats. After Mr. Carter died the Post Office moved next to Hoskins fish and chip shop just below Shiregreen Lane. 

Old Mr. Mitchell, of Rhodes & Mitchell, think he'd retired by the 1950's used to talk to me over the wall and gave me pansies for my plot in our garden. His son Edwin ran the business. 

Mum bought my Clarkes "sensible shoes" from Collins shoe shop, shopped at Rose's fruit shop on the corner of Bellhouse Road/Sicey Avenue. Ron's hardware you could buy just about anything from. 

Can't remember if the shop on the corner of Windmill Lane and Bellhouse Road was called Hagues but you queued to be served and sometimes for rather a long time while the lady behind the counter took time to talk to all the customers. Mum only shopped there occasionally after the Co-op on Bellhouse Road closed. 

u05149.jpg.c2596ea0c1651998b447fb83fdcf2e8a.jpg

u05149 A draper's in this photograph, but a grocers in the 50's/60's

Encouraged to save regularly and was a frequent visitor to Sheffield Trustee Savings Bank (later TSB) Hatfield House Lane. A deep wooden counter greeted you and your transaction was handwritten in a ledger and into your Savings Book. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s25678&pos=1&action=zoom&id=28120

Allen's Cycle shop, Firth Park Road also sold "Matchbox" cars and I used to go with my playmate Alastair and carefully select our next model.

Shops Mum frequented not included in the advertisements, Spencer, butchers, 438 Firth Park Road and Wilds, fish and egg shop, their wares were displayed outside, in the alleyway up to the Oval off Firth Park Road/Stubbin Lane. 

Maypole (where pre school they used to give me a custard cream), Styans the bakers, Friedrich's, pork butcher, Watsons, butchers & the Chemist (whose name escapes me, probably Co-op, where I always got a smelly box to take home) and the Wool Shop (above North Quadrant) on Bellhouse Road.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13482&pos=15&action=zoom&id=16350

The variety of shops at Firth Park meant you didn't have to go far to get everything you wanted. Bus/tram trips into "Town" were for special items. 

Yates chemist. Mathews Wool shop but now Marilyn's - their daughter  has run it for many years.  2 hardware shops in the 1950s Lawsons and Huddarts. Smells of bleach, paraffin and firelighters. 

Hagues shop was on the corner of Windmill Lane & Bevercotes road. There from 1950s until it closed in more recent years and before that it was called Masons. 

That's it Matthews wool shop, we were always in there for ages and ages, shopping in those days involved a lot of conversation and patient waiting. Marilyn was just a young woman then  assisting her mother, finding the items while her mum chatted to the customers.  Huddarts, thanks for reminding me and Yates the chemist of course. Thanks for posting the adverts. 

The shop on the corner of Windmill Lane, the daughter was called Valerie a bit older than me, must have been born in late 1940's

By gum! There’s a few dozen names in this lot that conjure up memories of years past. Some were shops owned by family members …like Rothery’s .Mc Cartins was the ladies hairdressing salon whose pretty daughter …a junior school friend called Linda, died far too young…but still remembered! Sam Watson was our butcher and he lived in a stone built detached house on Shiregreen Lane. David Skinner repaired watches and , sadly, finally closed when the craze for quartz watches caught on. Matthews wool shop saw my Mum “laying away” wool on a regular basis….Marilyn Matthews married Peter, another Junior school chum…..I could go on.

A far cry from what’s on offer around the Terminus these days.

No need to go into town for anything. 4 shoe shops, Gregsons on F P Road, Purcells on Stubbin Lane and Collins and Walliss's on Bellhouse road. Gent's outfitters on Bellhouse Road too - oh and a pawn shop for my dad's best suit to have a visit to M - S.