Old Brewery Tap / Merry England/ Under the Boardwalk

theimposter1979

I understand the former pub under the 'Black Swan' is due to reopen at some point this year as a sports bar. Does anyone know if it opened when the Black Swan was built in the 60s or only opened in 1976 when I believe it became the Sam Smith's 'Old Brewery Tap'...if so what was the downstairs used for before this? 

There was definitely a separate bar underneath the Black Swan around 1967-68, we used to meet there from Bridge St bus station.

I think it was called the Sidewalk at the time but could be wrong.

On 12/02/2019 at 21:18, theimposter1979 said:

I understand the former pub under the 'Black Swan' is due to reopen at some point this year as a sports bar. Does anyone know if it opened when the Black Swan was built in the 60s or only opened in 1976 when I believe it became the Sam Smith's 'Old Brewery Tap'...if so what was the downstairs used for before this? 

I seem to remember this as the Sportsmans bar before it became the Merrie England, so it looks like it's reverting back.

Weren't the Brewery Tap and Compleat Angler two different pubs? I'm in front of Meltdown now which I think was the Brewery Tap and I'm told it opened in 1978. My aunt got married November 1978 and remembered going there for a drink with her new husband before going to see Grease at the ABC up the road.