Reuben Hallam

RichardB

is that also the name of a pub across from wisewood school? the male teachers used to go there during the lunch break then breathe beer fumes over us all in the afternoon yuk. :blink::blink: :blink:

is that also the name of a pub across from wisewood school? the male teachers used to go there during the lunch break then breathe beer fumes over us all in the afternoon yuk. :blink::blink::blink:

I believe you are correct about the pub, dunno about the teachers lol

Guest wisewoodowl

is that also the name of a pub across from wisewood school? the male teachers used to go there during the lunch break then breathe beer fumes over us all in the afternoon yuk. :blink::blink::blink:

The pub used to be called The Star before it was re-named after "Wadsley Jack"

Guest coffee cup

I remember the row of stone cottages that used to ajoin the Star. I lived just off Luke Lane on what was called "Coal Pit Lane, this was later changed to Aldene Road. The reason behind this was someone who lived on Coal Pit lane had tried to book a holiday somewhere, but when they gave their adddress, they were refused, because it was assumed that they were miners and too common. I was told as a youngster that they campaigned to get the name of the Road changed, so the same thing wouldn't happen again.

I gew up in Wadsley when it was a village, it was full of stone cottages, and little shops. Coal Pit Lane/ Aldene Road leads up to Wadsley common where we used to play for hours, only returning home when we were hungry or it started to get dark. Happy memories.

Guest coffee cup

A bit of trivia for you all

Wadsley Jack is on Rural Lane, when it was the Star the Road was called Fox Lane. Many of the Roads in the old village had their road name changed.

for instance Laird Road used to be called Crabtree Lane

Guest beemerboy

Reuben Hallam wrote the book"Wadsley Jack or the tales of a travelling tinker" it's written in sheffield dialect so it thart not from sheffield then dont bother to reead it dats if da can find it!

Reuben Hallam wrote the book"Wadsley Jack or the tales of a travelling tinker" it's written in sheffield dialect so it thart not from sheffield then dont bother to reead it dats if da can find it!

Thanks Beemerboy; sounds like a challenge to find it :rolleyes:

Thanks Beemerboy; sounds like a challenge to find it :rolleyes:

Local Studies Library.

Wadsley Jack : or, the humours and adventures of a travelling cutler

Hallam, Reuben

Publisher: Edward Weston,

Pub date: 1881.

Pages: 106p

Item info: 3 copies available at Local Studies Library.

Holdings

Local Studies Library

Copy Material Location

823HALL SST 1 Reference material Reserve collection

2 Reference material Reserve collection

3 Reference material Reserve collection