Sign in to follow this  
southside

Anderson Shelter

Out walking i came across this Anderson Shelter on a local Sheffield allotment being used for storing gardening bits & pieces and wondered if there were many more still knocking about?

Anderson Shelter.jpg

If that's an Anderson shelter, rather than a curved sheet of corrugated sheeting, then it was never installed. A proper Anderson shelter is buried in the ground and covered over with soil, so it's just a mound. It's the soil that protects the occupants from flying debris and shrapnel, rather than the sheeting—which is there to stop the soil from caving in. image.png.b6352a06c26e1f9a9be09a2959c2cf65.png

• Upvote 1

Anderson shelters were thicker steel than modern sheeting.

I've long been on the hunt for an Anderson shelter, without much luck in finding one I could install in the garden. Most have eitehr rotted away to nothing, have been encased in concrete so they are inpossible to move, or were taken away years ago.

Apparently, after the war most anderson shelters that had just been covered with earth were dug up and re-purposed as ground-level sheds, often with bricke end walls added. The one in the photo could well be a real one that has been moved. It looks to be in far better condition than most I've seen.