Wagon & Horses, Millhouses, 70s - 80s

Craigio

Any of the crowd around who frequented The Wagon in the 1976 to 1982 era?

There were 40 or 50 of us, all aged around 16, 17, 18, in '76/'77.  Most of us had graduated from Dobcroft Youth Club to The Wagon.

Some disappeared over time, but most of us migrated to The Millhouses Hotel when The Wagon was refurbished and became a food pub in around 1982ish.

The Millhouses had been an old gippers pub, with about five small rooms and a grand piano, but it was also refurbished, and became our new hangout at about the same time they ruined The Wagon.

We used to go in the Waggon in the late 60's/early 70's. It was considered to be the 'hippy pub' because it's where all the middle class kids with long hair met. Like the last posting many of the clients graduated from Dodcroft.

It was also one of the first Sheffield pubs to have a female landlady. My dear friend, the late Carol Shepherd's mother was the landlady in the late 60's. Carol's father was orginally the landlord but when he suddenly died his wife asked if she could take over. Reluctantly the brewery agreed on condition that she completed a probationary period, this she did and made a roaring success of the business.

I go in occasionally but it's lost much of it's original character. It now is part of the True North chain who also own the Broadfield and several other pubs. I think they have just aquired the Ball Inn at Crookes?

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

I remember the landlady.  She was still there in the mid to late 70s.  Blonde hair, can't remember her name.  She was replaced by a new landlord called Geoff, whose surname I forget also.  Probably around '77ish.