Grocers shops in the 1950s

Stunmon

Some areas would have more than one grocers or butchers, all very near to each other, I can remember Gallons, Shentalls, B & C Co op and Liptons, just to mention a few. My mother shopped at Castledines on Hatfield House Lane. Does anyone remember being sent for a shillings worth of broken biscuits?

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 13:46, Stunmon said:

Some areas would have more than one grocers or butchers, all very near to each other, I can remember Gallons, Shentalls, B & C Co op and Liptons, just to mention a few. My mother shopped at Castledines on Hatfield House Lane. Does anyone remember being sent for a shillings worth of broken biscuits?

Mother got our broken biscuits from the Norfolk Market hall on Fridays when she got the Sunday roast from the Castle Market. The corner shop, Mr Gibson, used to deliver the rest of the groceries to our house in a cardboard box carried on his shoulder. We had to return the cardboard box later with the order for the next weeks groceries.

Living in Totley in the 50s, the main source of all our provisions was the Coop on Baslow Rd. It was the classic old style building  with 3 separate shops. General groceries, butchers and greengrocers. Can still smell the sawdust on the floor and our Coop number and my date of birth are about the only 2 combinations of numbers I can still always remember.