Fairfield House

tozzin

I had a wander around Broomhall yesterday and I came across this large house on the corner of Victoria Road and Broomhall Road, in my 1876 directory it shows that the first house on Victoria Road is No 1  is Abbeyfield House Victoria Road and that sits next door so I have to assume the house address was Broomhall Road but its hard to pin down as I couldn't see any house number just the name FAIRFIELD HOUSE on the Victoria Road entrance. Just who had this grand house built?

Fairfield_House_Victoria_Road_1.jpg

Fairfield_House_Victoria_Road.jpg

tozzin: This could be the Chap responsible for the construction of Fairfield House.

This clip is from the 1879 Whites Directory of Sheffield.

Fairfield House.jpg

10 hours ago, southside said:

tozzin: This could be the Chap responsible for the construction of Fairfield House.

This clip is from the 1879 Whites Directory of Sheffield.

Fairfield House.jpg

Thanks for this Southside, I looked at the maps of the area and one map seems to show that Fairfield and Abbeydale House were either one house or there was no dividing line, hedge etc between them, looked like they were built on the same plot. I'll now research  Mr Fairburn.

You're correct with John Fairburn, southside.  His picture in 1870 is below (from this site).  He was elected as a councillor for St George's ward uncontested in November 1865, and again each year until 1869 when he was elected Alderman.  He served as Alderman until he was disqualified in September 1883.  Mr Fairburn purchased Fairfield in 1860, before it was completed, for £1,500. He was there until declared bankrupt in 1883, the newspaper article below is quite comprehensive.

1768707808_Fairfield1890.jpg.00b93b60f4a42a373de4948c10bff760.jpg

John_Fairburn_1870.thumb.jpg.ebb999fae3372dcdcc7972a7d3a4f341.jpg

1953196725_AldermanFairburn1883.thumb.jpg.fe3ef83003e7dd11383734db6a73b7f1.jpg

This is the 1894 map I mentioned, it gives the impression that Fair Field House was linked to Abbeydale House just next door. The plot is easily seen in between Victoria Road, Broomhall Road and Sunny Bank, quite a sizeable plot.Fair_Field_House_Map.thumb.png.63d14a20400a571a8275141e78cf426f.png

No 1 Victoria Road (Green Bank on Edmunds map) was the home of Daniel Doncaster in 1871.

John Fairburn died at 2 Wilton Road, Broomhall in 1897, he was interred with wife Olivia in the General Cemetery.

11 minutes ago, southside said:

No 1 Victoria Road (Green Bank on Edmunds map) was the home of Daniel Doncaster in 1871.

John Fairburn died at 2 Wilton Road, Broomhall in 1897, he was interred with wife Olivia in the General Cemetery.

I did know about Greenbank,  now called Abbeydale House I believe.